Transmission Won't Shift into 5th or 6th Gear

Make
Toyota
Model
Sequoia
Year
Miles
Engine
My son decided to share his new mechanic skills by changing the transmission fluid in my 2013 Sequoia SR5 2 X 4. Unfortunately he failed to tighten the drain plug! We lost the transmission. I bought a used one and installed it. It runs great in 1st through 4th gears but it won't shift to 5th or 6th in either automatic or self-shift modes. I'm getting the following code : P0713 - Power train Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input. Could this be the reason the transmission won't shift into the high gears? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to take the transmission out!

grcauto

I'm surprised you have the lowest gears. This needs to be fixed for all gears to work correctly. Does your son have a DVOM and know how to use it?

No, he is just a mechanics helper. I don't think he knows what a DVOM is. I know I don't!

grcauto

It's a Digital Volt Ohm Meter and is used to test for voltage, shorts and open circuits. Ask him if he has a meter that can do this. We need to do some basic tests of the transmission temperature sensor and it's circuit. The first thing would be to read the resistance of the sensor and associated wire harness.
Did he have the tool to read the code? Can you see if he can get the freeze frame data? It would be nice to see if the code set right away. Even so, have him check the wiring going to the transmission and look for loose or crushed wiring.

He doesn't but I'll get one. I read the code on my cell via an OBDII sensor and Bluetooth connection. This was the exact readout: "P0713 - Power train Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input." Is that the readout you're talking about? How would I see if the code set right away? The transmission fluid overheat warning on the dashboard came on when I lost the first transmission and has been on since then - it never went off. I checked the wires last night with a flashlight but I'll check again with daylight. Do I need to get a commercial code reader? And, THANK YOU for your help!

If you did not disconnect the battery after the 1st trans failed you may need to erase old stored codes either with your OBDII sensor and Bluetooth connection or by disconnecting the battery for a minute and reconnecting it. Then see if the same code reappears.

grcauto

Ahh, as Paul Harvey would say "Here's the rest of the story". No problem. Yeah do what Jack says and when the cables are disconnected touch the ends together for a solid minute and it'll clear all stored data. If that don't help we will need to go further. Let's hope it's that simple.
Was the light being on and that code the reason for the tranny fluid change?
There were some models of Toyota that had a TSB to address that issue. It needed a new harness internal to the transmission. Not sure if yours is a part of that campaign but if you give us you vin we can look it up. No need to give your vin if the data scrub works.

bp042665

hunting nut
IF YOU CAN READ LIVE DATA THAT CAN ALSO HELP on the newer modle transmission if the temp is too low or to high it will not let the higher gear or lock up so temp reading is important

I failed to mention that I did clear the codes with my OBDII reader and they immediately came back. I've checked for crushed wires and found none. I'm going to clear the codes tonight using Jack's method just to be sure. Does the DVOM need to be the automotive specific kind? I'll also see if I can read live data. I believe I can.

billr

wrench
Staff member
A general-purpose meter will work fine. Do you know how to "back probe" the temp sensor with it still connected to the harness? If you don't have live-data available (and I strongly recommend getting a tool that gives you that), then reading voltage of the signal is the next-best "first step" to diagnose the circuit.

Checking my repair manual there are the instructions for the Fluid Temperature Check after refilling with fluid:
Turn off ignition
Connect Techstream to DLC3
Turn Ignition switch on
Go to the following menu: Powertreain/Engine and ECT/DataList A/T Oil Temperature 1.
Check the ATF temperature.

What is the DLC3? Might I be able to do this with my OBDII sensor and the app on my cell?

I attached the ATF Adjustment pages from my repair manual.

Attachments

Bill, no, I don't know how to do that. Let me first see if I can get live data. I'll report back in a bit.

No luck with the live data. My reader does get live data of all sorts but apparently not for the ATF. It does get transmission temp but for some reason those are blank.

bp042665

hunting nut
that can be a issue but you might want to take it to a shop and have them check with a scanner that has transmission data the cost is worth to know sure and not just slamming parts at it