TrailBlazer AC Clutch not engaging.

NickD

wrench
I hook up my metered power supply directly to the clutch coil, vehicle connector removed. Set it for 14.5 Volts and read the clutch current, should read around 4 amps. Let it cook for awhile, the coil heats up and that current should drop. Since it is a random wound magnet wire coil, heat can causing intercoil shorts, current then goes up. Bad coil.

Power supply lets me adjust the voltage, with a cold coil, expect it to engage at around 9-10 volts. Most coils that read a cold 4 amps at 14.5 volts should only drop to around 3.5 amps after heating up.

Using this with the engine running at 1,500 -2000 rpm gives me complete manual control of the system with manifold gauges attached. If the high side jumps and even starts to approach much over the rated high side pressure, under 300 psi, and up to over 400, instantly switch off the supply.

If everything works normal, pressures and cooling is good. clutch is good, but still problems, its electrical in the vehicle. That is were the fun starts depending on the vehicle.

Clutch coils can be good and the problem is with the clutch disk itself, if a leaf spring type, can be a pile of rust. Some idiot disks use a piece of rubber for that, that dries up harder than a rock, with those, try and find a leaf spring replacement.

Pricing is also ridiculous, in buying just a clutch kit for just a few bucks more can buy the entire compressor with a new clutch kit installed. But if the basic compressor is good, really a PITA to change it, have to recover the refrigerant, flush the system, replace the accumulator/receiver, draw a deep vacuum and inject clean dry PAG. Have to keep the EPA happy. they don't give a damn about your misery, just trying to preserve the earth on false theory. But now saying R-134a is bad. Since they all drive government supplied brand new vehicles, they don't give a damn about the rest of us. Most I know also drive these free vehicles for their own personal use.

Heck, get a job with the EPA, only requirement is that you have an IQ of less than 2!

NickD

wrench
but you guys probably have plenty of money anyway.
Would have, if we didn't have to pay $6,000 a year for property taxes, only service I am aware of is picking up a half a bag of trash each week. Did buy a new vehicle with $5,500 in rebates, but still had to pay the state 300 bucks in extra sales tax. We spent $12,500 in state tuition last year, but could only deduct $4,000 of that off our income tax. And that was after they already cleaned out our gross wages with FICA taxes that we also had to pay both state and federal income taxes on. Then another $14,000 for health insurance. College says all the state and federal money is going to Iraq to fight for their freedom when they don't even want us there.

Food prices are ridiculous since they started burning food for ethanol that isn't worth a crap and using just as much fossil fuels to make the stuff. Gas is not 4 buck a gallon, with much lower BTU ratings, cost more like $5.40 per gallon, but can't even deduct that for driving to work or school.

Then have to pay taxes on our savings with only 1% interest, when government caused inflation says that money is worth more like 5% less, they don't consider the cost of energy nor food in their inflation estimates. More like the price of Made In China junk that is on sale at Walmart.

After both direct and indirect taxes, we are well below the poverty level, but the government says we are rich so tax the living hell out of us.

I recently rewound a defective clutch coil to save a few bucks, have to do something to have enough money to buy food.

year.0

I just removed a shim on a 2002 Traiblazer compressor yesterday-- the clutch was pulling in slowly- one side then the other-it gave a double click upon each engagement- this too is a sign of a wide worn air gap--The owner had the same complaint as you folks-- no air after it warms up...Only trouble was that I had to remove fan and shroud to access front of compressor - then just remove the 14mm bolt from front of compressor, wiggle clutch driver out, then reach in with a magnet and pull out the shim- then re-install the clutch driver. I did not bother to measure air gap-- I only care than clutch does not rub when not engaged- and that pulley spins freely. Why buy a clutch when removing a shim works great? Do what you want- but I don't advise spending money you don't have to-- but you guys probably have plenty of money anyway.
I was having this issue with my 08 Envoy 5 3, tracked the problem down to the compressor but didn't know I could just pull a shim and fix it. THANK YOU!!! Taking a 1000 mile trip for the July 4th weekend and was thinking I was going to have to spend a few hundred dollars and a few hours to get it working. Pulled the fan and shroud to access the compressor and pulled the shim and viola, cold as ice all day. Your posts here saved the day!

NickD

wrench
10 mils was a good clutch gap, the pulling in magnetic force decreases by the cube of the distance. Now have to think about shims with GM, pressure plate was a so-called interference fit or shrink fit. Over the years GM changed the installer/remover tool, so had to buy three different ones of them. Do recall shims back in the 60's. Did they go back to shims?

brcidd

Any service center would have replaced the compressor---they do not "fix" anything, only replace parts. You had a choice, $1100 for a new compressor, or $0 for a shim removal. Sure feels good to help someone in need....and to know exactly what went wrong. I lived and breathed this issue ever since the latest shim designs came into being. The key is the description of the failure mode. I've seen tons of them- on any compressor that sets the air gap by using shims. So knowing, researching, your compressor is paramount. So glad this old post got some traction and you were able to fix it yourself. Isn't the internet wonderful?

NickD

wrench
Any service center would have replaced the compressor---they do not "fix" anything, only replace parts. You had a choice, $1100 for a new compressor, or $0 for a shim removal. Sure feels good to help someone in need....and to know exactly what went wrong. I lived and breathed this issue ever since the latest shim designs came into being. The key is the description of the failure mode. I've seen tons of them- on any compressor that sets the air gap by using shims. So knowing, researching, your compressor is paramount. So glad this old post got some traction and you were able to fix it yourself. Isn't the internet wonderful?

Shops have to do over component installation, have to if given you a 30 day warranty. Many friends came over after spending a fortune having many components replaced without curing the problem and charge at least 30% than what you could buy the component for. When the real problem is a loose manifold bolt, corroded electrical connection, or a leaking vacuum hose. Sure took advantage of my wife, after marrying me, saved a huge fortune on automotive repairs, not going to tell you how she pays me.

Sure sure screwed my daughter in that phony emissions test in the City of Milwaukee, just hook up a two buck scanner, if they see no codes, charge you 50 bucks and give you a sticker for your windshield. I just put on a genuine GM single belt on that car that cost me ten bucks. They said it was bad, its going to break, can't drive your car and you are going to die freezing to death. Put on a POS made China replacement belt and kept my belt. Probably sold that one to some other sucker for $200.00.

Don't even get me started on wheel alignment shops.