autojoe

Make
Oldsmobile
Model
Year
Miles
?
Engine
1992 Oldsmobile 88. Is there a way to get codes obd1? Flash diagnostics ground pin a plus another terminal of 12 pin connector? I threw out all my old obd1 books. I thought a to l but no terminal in l. Some used instrument panel. Thanks in advance.

grcauto

wrench
I do believe you need the Tech I or similar.

autojoe

Thanks that's what I thought teves mark 4. Have to isolate when light comes on after clearing it. Koeo or during braking. Wonder if can get parts for it being so old. Thanks again.

autojoe

Right...... I know that I can't get body parts for my 2008 trailblazer. Had to go to the junk yard.

Boomer

1992 Oldsmobile 88. Is there a way to get codes obd1? Flash diagnostics ground pin a plus another terminal of 12 pin connector? I threw out all my old obd1 books. I thought a to l but no terminal in l. Some used instrument panel. Thanks in advance.
I thought it was paper clip to the two upper right pins?

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think it is pins A and B you jumper to get the "blinky codes". You should get "12" at least, to indicate codes are being displayed and no trouble ones are set.

Having said that, what codes are you trying to get in addition to the ECM codes?

autojoe

I know ecm flash diagnostics. Some vehicles you could access abs codes by grounding terminal l. Not on this vehicle. Need scan tool.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I ignored the "ABS" in the subject line; sorry.

jigfeett

Never throw out the old books and code readers. Information for these cars is flying out the window and will never come back as books get tossed and the computer world doesn't care about us guys with old stuff.

There are a lot of older scan tools out there on amazon & ebay and other sites for cheap that have obd1 cables and have abs functions. under $100 to $200
Even some of the older Snapon stuff is cheap for an early car like yours.

Good luck and let us know what you find are you anywhere near Seattle?

paulo57509

That's why I keep the old OTC 4000e around even though I keep tripping over it.