Model
Monte Carlo SS
Year
Miles
Engine
3.8 non supercharged
2004 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 non supercharged
210,000 miles.

Been having very random no start conditions.

Replaced battery did not fix problem.

Tested starter with noid light constant 12 volt main, selonoid wire does light when it starts. will not light on no start.

Today had it happen two times. I held key to start for a few seconds after no start nothing. On turning the key back to off both times it tried to start for a half second.
Yes it kicked the starter over for a very brief time from start to off. Is this the sign of a bad ignition switch.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I read that to mean this is a "no crank" issue, correct? There is going to be a neutral/park safety switch in that circuit that is also a likely candidate. Maybe a relay, too.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Yes it kicked the starter over for a very brief time from start to off. Is this the sign of a bad ignition switch.
That could be a sign of failing electrical contacts inside the ignition switch. Also a small possibility of security system failure (the part of that system that is incorporated with the ignition lock cylinder).

mark15937

I replaced the ignition switch a few weeks ago and have not had any more problems. Sorry I did not reply sooner. Thanks for the help.