Possible engine swap.. Need answers first..

ej1619

Make
Honda
Model
Passport
Year
Miles
Engine
V6
I have a particularly technical question for teh wrenches that are very familiar with the isuzu rodeo/honda passport.

I have a 99 passport 2wd v6 that's a little rough around the edges. The trans is shot, interior is rough and body is a little worse for wear. The engine however is strong, no knocks, skips and only leaks are valve cover gaskets.

Now on to the question if you will. I found a 97 rodeo 4x4 v6, its a beautiful rig, new tires, starter altenator. The interior and body are both close to mint. The engine is bad though.

I need to know if I can swap motors. Using the long block from the 99 in the 97, using most if not all the electrics of the 97 on the 99 long block.

I have considered simply swapping out the short blocks if the heads would line up.

My thought on this is that I can indeed do this swap, knowing how honda and isuzu use almost every part religiously for many years.

I've even considered the possibility that I can swap the 99 in using the electrics and swapping the computers.

The only other thing I've considered is swapping the 97 4wd drivetrain into the 99 2wd. We've done jeeps and chevy trucks but never a Honda/Isuzu

I really want to do this swap if possible. I can get the 97 for the price of the new tires and these are pretty nice suvs. Any advice or help with whether or not this can work would be awesome.

NickD

wrench
I quit engine swapping in the 50's, won't you need a Warshawsky adapter plate? Also run into EPA and insurance problems with this kind of modification not to mention electronic interface problems.

What's wrong with the Isuzu engine, cracked block or heads? rockauto.com has all kinds of engine parts for this vehicle, is the easiest and the correct way to do it.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I took a peek at parts on the Rock Auto site, '97-98 seems to be a change point; many parts are different between '97 down and '98 up. The "rule of thumb" is that any kind of swap is possible, but be wary. Are you subject to emissions testing? That, alone, may preclude the "total drive-line" swap.

I think you are correct, though, the core engines are probably interchangeable. You will just have to transfer a lot of pieces.

NickD

wrench
Lots of 97 Isuzu rodeo 4x4 v6 3.2 complete engines for sale on ebay in the 700-1000 buck range, maybe you can buy one of those and sell your Honda engine.