P0751 2002 Chevy S10 Pickup. ZR2 182,000 miles

Boomer

I was ignoring the P0751 code when I made those suggestions. The wiring/connectors need to be checked out first. Again, let's wait for BP to join in. I will summon him now.
That code only came up the one time. I looked visually at the wiring when I was under there. It looked fine from what I can see.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Some of the wiring is inside the trans, a harness (probably molded plastic) that connects all the solenoids and switches to the connector on the trans case. Maybe I should try to guide you on checking solenoid resistance from that connector on the trans case; that would check the internal wiring along with the actual solenoid coils fairly well. I'm still hoping BP joins us soon...

bp042665

transmission guy
sorry all been out sick ok Boomer you most likely have a internal problem i see this alot with this kind of milage the bonded piston's in the input drum will get hard and not seal completely .

billr

wrench
Staff member
Can that be verified with an air-check of some kind? Easy enough to do, or is a special plate needed?

Boomer

Some of the wiring is inside the trans, a harness (probably molded plastic) that connects all the solenoids and switches to the connector on the trans case. Maybe I should try to guide you on checking solenoid resistance from that connector on the trans case; that would check the internal wiring along with the actual solenoid coils fairly well. I'm still hoping BP joins us soon...
Bill, thank you very much for getting the attention of the transmission expert. I really appreciate it.

Boomer

sorry all been out sick ok Boomer you most likely have a internal problem i see this alot with this kind of milage the bonded piston's in the input drum will get hard and not seal completely .
Thanks for taking the time to read this BP. I hope you're feeling better. I've called a local transmission shop that had some pretty good reviews. The guy told me pretty much the same thing. He mentioned probably a broken piston. It's great to have two opinions that pretty much agree. I appreciate the help.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Note that the video above shows air-checks when the trans is disassembled. I am suggesting similar testing, but with the trans in the vehicle and still assembled. You remove the VB and apply air to appropriate passages/ports on the trans case; like shown for one test at the very beginning of the video.

grcauto

You remove the VB and apply air to appropriate passages/ports on the trans case; like shown for one test at the very beginning of the video.
The problem is you have fluid in the passages. I can imagine it would work but I've never tried it.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Bingo bill, found one.

I would pay for this tool, if I had to.

So after searching real hard, I want to know billr, is this what you are talking about, cuz back when I was with mopar apprenticing, this is how the tranny guys diagnosed quick in and out.

Anyway, just wanted to know if I am contributing or hindering.

billr

wrench
Staff member
No, that plate and vacuum testing are intended for testing the VB. I'm taking about the other side, the innards of the trans (clutches and servos). There are similar plates for sale for the air-checks, but on that 4R70W I worked on I could just push the rubber tip on an air nozzle against the appropriate port on the trans.

Yes, it can be a bit messy, especially if something is wrong in there and leaks a bunch of fluid when you apply air pressure. If everything is OK, you just hear a "thunk" as the clutch/servo actuates. What you do not want to hear is a lot of hissing, gurgling, etc. from leakage. It would be nice to verify something in there (broken piston seal) is leaking before ripping out the trans.

My question to BP was simply if this trans must have an expensive plate for the air-check, or if the OP can do it with just an air nozzle and some rubber hoses/tips for sealing to the trans ports.

Boomer

Hey guys, my work schedule has been very busy lately. I have decided to let a transmission shop handle this. If I had all the time in the world, it would be different. I will definitely post the outcome here. I really appreciate the help you guys give. This is a great place.