overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My first pc was a coco 64 made by radio shack.

Then my father let me loose on other stuff like keeping track of my sister and the guys she liked to french kiss. Yeah, Anyway, your children are very fortunate to have had a father like you, and probably a very understanding mother also.

Unfortunately, I would never touch another pc again until many yrs later cuz funds and family situ was not in the game for my instruction.

Next time you see or speak to your children, say hi to them from a guy who had to learn all of this on his own. But I highly doubt they will give a big thx like me to you, cuz the way I read your comments sometimes, silverspoons come to mind, and at this point in my life, I am not really the judgemental type, more the appreciative type.

So, thx to folks like you and your significant other, our hardships, whatever era, whatever situation should NEVER be the problem to learning.

For me, learning became a YEARNING as I was always frustrated at the rich kids who had it all. It drove me to learn whatever I could whatever the difficulty level. And if some one said I couldnt learn, I wanted to rip his head off.

But sadly, some ppl just are inherently either lazy, or not driven or just plain to much like trump.

Mine, mine, mine.

This is probably one of the biggest challenges USA is going to face in a very short time span from now.

My life situ also drove me to criminality and vice.

So my biggest prerogative was not to have the fastest pc, it was to be as tuff as I needed to be to survive, so my childhood interests took a hold to just putting food on table, and being watchful that no one was lacking basic needs.

But now, I have gracefully thx thx to you guys here, reborn myself in this childhood dream of mine, where I can actually build my own and fix my own and still be tuff if one of my buddies thinks I pussy out cuz I like nerd stuff.

They know, I can kick ass in gym also. But that is beyond point.

Dont tell my son, but my next build will be his 18th birthday gift, not a car, not a scooter, not a race bike, just a real futur proof, real cool pc he can drive for 15 yrs or so to get him threw college if he so wishes to do so.

That, is my main goal, and in the mean time, learning nasa stuff from ppl like you and billr, well that is just a bonus.

NickD

wrench
Was designing computer circuits when I was 20 years old, Turing, the British enigma code breaker was my hero. Could design logic circuits using all relays, for rush jobs and in the service, was working 20 hours per day. When the transistor came along, could to 1 MBPS, integrated circuits shot that up to the giga hertz range. Oldest son took a major interest in code, is manager of a name brand company that writes industrial code.

Insisted on all of them getting a good education, one is a medical doctor, but not allowed to treat his dad. Another left for Japan, married a Japanese girl, have two grandsons I may never seem opened an English Speaking school. Three daughters are working in medicine, pushed that, don't have to worry about the Chinese taking over and jobs are available in practically any city or town they want to work in. On son is in business administration, good a playing the stock market, another son doing the same thing.

Yes, I am old practically most if my military buddies have past away. Did take three college courses on writing code, in one ear and out the other. When designing circuits, day would fly by, quitting time already.

Took a year off to build my own home when I was 30, was a $75 thousand home back then that only cost me 25 thousand in material. Made that remodeling the first two homes I owned and paid it off in a year. If I got a 30 year loan, would have paid back over $230 thousand in interest. People say you can deduct interest off your income tax, not very smart, saving about 10% in taxes, but paying the bank another 90%.

Sure would like to build a new home now, have the time and money, but way too old. Was almost killed by a crazy kid knocking me 45 feet in the air riding a bike, those injuries are catching up on me. But nobody touches my cars for work.

JackC

wrench
Find code to be particularly extremely boring, puts me to sleep.
Years ago I took a coding class to help the local library set up a web site. This was before it was so simple to do. I was a volunteer. When done, they asked if I could create the site. I said yes I could but I would not for the same reason you stated. Boring tedious work. They got some younger people to do it.

NickD

wrench
Each of us has our gifts, for me language is not one of them, used to hang out with Juisuit Professors, tried to talk me into becoming one, but learning Latin was impossible for me. Strange, have a daughter that speaks several languages, don't know where she got that from, but certainly not from me.

And this is exactly what computer programing is, is learning several languages. For microcontrollers, each manufacturer had a different set of instructions least 150 or more, and used mnemonics to help write code. Computers high-level languages , such as BASIC, C, C++, COBOL, Java, FORTRAN, Ada, and Pascal. Ha did take a computer language course in the 50's, Fortran, barely passed it with a D-. Oldest son is really great at this, again, did not get it from me.

He is not very good at repairing cars, when I was ten years old could pull an engine and transmission apart and put it all back together again, in electronics, complex circuits.

A PCM is one application using a microcontroller with memory stored in RAM, more like EEROM where a glitch can lose bits and bytes and crash on you. Same thing could be done with mixed signal technology that does not rely on a micron sized FET to store a logical one or zero and retain it with power removed. But lose just one bit, microcomputer will crash and you will be stranded.

NickD

wrench
If we are talking about speed, was just about ready to pitch my Windows 10 laptop slower than a crippled turtle, wouldn't run any of my older software, and loaded with those stupid icons had to search though to open a program, or is that an app. Mine didn't have that smudge screen, still needed a mouse, hate those any way with a screen loaded with finger prints.

Learned I could get all drivers for Windows, 7 pro 64 bit, installed that, now running a heck of a lot faster, maybe 15 time faster. Windows 7 does have a Windows XP emulator for even running older programs that was the standard OS before Windows Vista, another bad joke from Microsoft, so much security, would even let you get online.

XP followed bad jokes like Millennium and 2000, and was more Like Windows 98SE but with DOS removed. Bill Gates became a billionaire with this crap? Was talk back then about the US taking over MS with a free OS, but Billy had more power than our government, also put over 3000 software companies out of business.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, it is finally complete after all this time, here is a pic of first boot up after checking loop for leaks for 24hrs in a non active state.

Booted just fine, cant wait to push numbers with the new water loop. I guess you guys get the theme by now, red green and blue.

:pMessage_1589060189241[1].jpg

jigfeett

Interesting read you are a talented guy.
Looks cool too
I use computers but don't really like them