overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I actually said, wean this. That was my middle figure in his face. I was quite irate. He said take this, u b fine. No, you made me worse. Shove it where the son don't shine. https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/effexor-addiction/withdrawal-detox/#gref

Anyway, can't wait to overclock this thing, but the knew ev forum has spiked my interest alot, I am really trying not to post frivol, but it sure is hard, cuz the stuff I need to imprint in my brain needs noise for to make sense in my head. SO thx for taking the time to read, weed out the useless, and gain from what is left.

;):bat:

Last edited:

NickD

wrench
Used to design CMOS JFET logic circuits same type used in computer microprocessors

First test was a zero frequency clock or no clock at all, the supply current should be zero and the means sub micro land values.

Increasing the clock frequency today in the gigahertz range increases the supply current, this is because millions of field effect transistor have gates with capacitance and the current is charging and discharging them. The higher the frequency the greater the coil draw and may be in the 5-6 ampere range, 3 volt logic that little tiny chip, a lot smaller than the case it is in, can be dissipating 15-18 watts.

Another problem is transferring that heat from a small chip to the ambient.

What part of Canada do you live in, will be looking up north for smoke.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
What part of Canada do you live in, will be looking up north for smoke.
There are two ways for me to answer this question.

So, if you want smoke, we got that. So this is me either stupid or generous, but my sub mind knows your trying to f with me. So I will tread lightly.

I am from quebec canada, first part of my mind would wish for you to come visit, second part said, I actually kind of understood all that about higher frequency and coil draw.

I am still trying to figure out why the ryzen chips need higher frequency ram than the intels.

My current intel chip is maybe what they call a silicone lottery thing I hear so much on internet.

I guess I am just lucky, or have not pushed voltage to far cuz I kinda studied this.

I am just worried about new amd build, will I cook it out of the gate?

Second part of second guessing, you probably just meant to say I will cook it, and will wait for smoke, cuz you don't look to me to be the guy who want to take motorhome and come up here and peace pipe with the common folk of snow land.

Since, I think I am an astute person, what voltage is good for a cl proper latency for ram @3200? Will I cook the cpu first, or ram?

NickD

wrench
Ha, spent time in Montreal and Sept-Iles, but the women there didn't care for English speaking men. My company had a division in Montreal, they had to be nice to me.

If I understand you correctly, thinking about increasing the voltage? Microprocessors are very funny this was, decrease the voltage just 0.3V, they won't work at all, increase the voltage just over 0.3V will exceed the transistor maximum voltage, will breakdown, that will be the end of it.

Overclocking is increasing the clock frequency, this will change all the timed applications, do a lot more charging and discharging of the gates and really heat things up. When they talk about 0.3 micron logic, inside of a chip looks like a printed circuit board, that 0.3 micron is the width of the conducting runs between components.

Silicon has to be practically 100% pure, almost impossible but do have some ion current carriers, for each 10*C increase in temperaturem these current carriers will double. Ram stores a charge in each memory gate, practically an infinitesimal amount of charge is a logical one, no charge a logical zero. Those migration currents can lose all of you memory.

Early computers were running around 100 MHz, present one is running at 2.9 GigaHz, but really not much faster, software guys are adding a lot more bytes so just running barely faster.

I never cared for games, my kids sure did, bad guys use to look like walking sticks, now very life like, and some of those women are pretty hot looking, huge amount a data to process, so not much faster.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Raid not a prob, on one channel nvme M2

Something is wrong here, going to flush all bullshyte software, cuz motherboard monitor is key. It is not up to par yet, only 17% up. temps fine on asus monitor, but on speccy, everything is cooking. That soft suck . Donèy download it for oc purposes.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I forgot to write, 3.8 ON ALL CORES air. Best chalenge is to see if this rig will do 15yrs like my last build, lets just hope so. We might be sniffing on mars by then, who knows, until then, fuck corona beer virus, buy all the toilet paper you want, I went to boy scouts, and know what poison ivy looks like. ;):giveup:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So far, this mother board is way better than my other extreme intel one, actually blows it out of the sky. My gf was bitching, I turned to say what, turned back around, bam, 5 sec rule I have in my head to know when to shunt off:bat:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
well, things are evolving.

After three dishwash cycles, nothing got the nicotine stain away, so I just wash it at work with floor cleaner. Very corrosive and time sensitive, but the result is quite astounding.

Used some wurth contact cl stuff, brand spanking new.

Amazingly, everything works.

Flawlessly I might add. Am I tooting my horn, yup I am. These two projects of mine have taken 1 plus full year, but as I like watching old reruns of BA and Hannibal.

NickD

wrench
Over clocking with software? Learned something, typically needed a higher crystal frequency. Motorola invented the microcontroller back in 1969, was a one bit processor 8 bits to a byte and more for sequencing. The command pin was different than the data pin, marketing combined the two into one, to save a cent back then on at 1,000 buck processor. Also demanded to use a two digit date code that cost a huge fortune to correct in 2000, this saved about a dime on a million buck computer.

Cray came out with parallel processing, instead of one bit in sequence a whole string of bytes. They were near me, shook my head as to the mass amount of interconnecting cable with inductance, resistance, and capacitance not to mention the huge labor expense, they didn't like me so wouldn't hire me to design IC's to eliminate all this garbage. But they went broke anyway when integrate circuit. I am running an Intel now 64 bit, that's that like processing 8 bytes in a cycle running at 3 GHz. But not much faster than older computers, because adding a lot more crap that slows things down. Another slow poke is your monitor, LED's are a bit faster than LCD's.

My kids were nuts about playing games, had me to help them, but was never interested in video games, kind of a waster of your time. Now that wasn't very nice to say.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, this new software from AMD is called ryzen master.

Although not as thorough as going through bios to step up frequencies and voltages, the program lets you do that straight from the desktop. I like the feature, still learning how to tweak this way, used to bios, but The damn PC is so fast, I almost dont have time to hit del to get into bios, so I thought I would show that.

What I like most, are the presets to overclock, with know good stable, and then tweak up from there. After all, I spent a few grand on this new build, wouldnt want to burn it out of the gate as I have little to no experience with amd chips, just intel. The chips are quite different and I am not used to hot running chips like the one I bought.

Thx for your interest, I would have loved to see those crays you were talking about. I have heard of them before, but even those will be obsolete as the nanometer architectures evolve.

NickD

wrench
Ha, use to want to be the first kid on the block with the fastest computer, but after I woke up and got wise, like to be about four years behind, this is how long it takes Microsoft to work out all the bugs.

My computer interest is more like a tool, really don't care how it works, just use it. Couple of my kids became major software designers. Find code to be particularly extremely boring, puts me to sleep.