overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, got a new part. The water cool kit from Slovenia.

Sometimes, I forget I am stupid when it comes to my hobbies.

I ended up paying 48.30$ cnd at point of delivery.

It was probably written in fine print, but I caught a piece of work in the eyes. It did not go well. Antibiotics helped, got the swelling and chunks out and under control after 4-5 f'ing weeks. :eek: 20190816_073117.jpg

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Camping sucked with the eye thing, but still got cool things done.

Here is the kit, I am very disappointed I did not see that 50$ fee. Guy won't takecash and GF has credit card. Had I have known, I could have got it off newegg canada at same price minus the direct warranty from buying from Slovenia.

Long story short, end up asking a co worker to lend me his credit card to pay DHL guy. Not a situation I like. Asking money from co workers is not good for business sometimes. But it was only for 50$, it went well, he got his money back plus coffee this morning.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Anyway, for some reason, can't make wire to upload cell phone pic, not really important, I linked to it(the kit). Probably not a data cable, just a charge cable, and AS USUAL, my lovely gf took off with wrong one. But hey, what is a gf friend for?

Next step is choosing MB (motherboard) and cpu and chipset. Futur proof does not exist, but going with

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
but going with intel seems to be risky right now. Higher prices and little R and D of late to curb AMD.

The more I think about it, the Taichi one (MB) looks very appealing option wise and has a gear theme to it I can "rivet" on. The 570 chip set is already fan cooled out of the box. Great option the older MB's did not have. + the M2 slots. = fast sign up time.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Taichi/

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In between loosing my son to custody and loosing my sister to fatal liver failure. This is the most heart wrenching thing as a man I have had to deal with.

My mother calls me daily, I am at work or on some deal trying to focus on hybrids and full electric, trying to bring in soap.

Damn.

I want to give away this awesome auto boss v30.

Pay transport, it is yours.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ha, Autoboss came back, didn't know how to use it. Oh well, still up for grabs then. Great diagnostic tool for europe cars!! Trust me.

Back to PC. Will take a while to post back pics of new parts, they are just not going down, they are frekin going up since launch.

My trusty old I7 950 is pushing a solid over clock from OEM 3.07ghz to 4.2ghz , again, solid for weeks now. I cooked it a bit at first, I wanted more, a guy gave me a few overvoltage specs, it was meant to cook. I wanted 5ghz out of it, but was simply not feasible even in an open air chassis and fans pushing on all component.s

So water cooling was my only option to get passed 5ghz or more. What will I do with it? Probably nothing. It is meant as a statement and an art piece. I really like seeing art in pc's, For some reason, I am fixated by the way we come so far in such a short time as a species. In the tech dept I mean. In other parts of our species underlays darker things.

However, to get to 5ghz or more now, the I7 950 is a basically discontinued socket with very limited support for parts, and rummaging around on e bay sucks.

Had a 2004 viper in today. A srt v10, black. All black. Nice. Front left tyre was showing metal and car was not front end friendly even at low speeds. Found a stock , also new control arm was loose on front cam bolt for lower suspension right front. Thew front out of whacked, for some reason destroyed left front. Right tire showed even wear. What?

Can someone here explain that.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Back to pc thread, yeah, should have took a pic of the thermal paste. From the smell in my living room when the screen went blue, I was sure I cooked the cpu once and for all and my GF was laughing her butt off on the couch seeing me all surprised.

She has seen me fussing with my old pc to try to fry it and she laughs every time I try something new and stupid. She don't like the expensive part of this hobby. If she keeps on asking me why I need new parts, I will keep on asking why she keeps on getting fatter. That should settle that.

:eek::oops::giveup:

Last edited:
Overclocking a computer is tantamount to Ford putting a large heavy V-8 engine called the Mustang in a Ford compact car chassis like the Falcon.

The size of the chip components in a microprocessor is determined by the width of the runs between components. Actually looks like a printed circuit board, but don't see packaged components, just the guts on the inside.

This was my job, in selecting say a 10 micron run, the chip could run as high as 15 volts off the power supply, but reducing this to about 0.3 microns, 3 volts was just about the maximum voltage that can be applied. The smaller the land size, the faster the circuits can run.

In theory without a clock the current draw of the chip as we call it should be zero, but with millions of CMOS FET transistors the gates have capacitance and by clocking with a crystal controlled oscillator the current will drastically increase in the ampere range.

So to get speed, the FET, field effect transistors have to be made as small as possible, but by doing this their ability to dissipate power decreases.

Increasing the speed increases the power consumption the the chip will overheat, with thermodynamics, heat can only be transferred to a heat sink at a limited rate.

You can overclock at a higher speed if you move your computer into a meat freezer, this also reduces that parasitic currents that flow in the chip.

First microposscesser was designed in 1969 by Motorola so we practically have a 50 year history.

You can kill yourself driving a 1965 Mustang to its limits, very poor handling and brakes way over weight imbalance on the front wheels. But with your computer if designed properly with overclocking causing overheating, would just shut itself down.

My kids were nuts about computer games, really were quite simple in the 80's, but now, more like feature films with lots of detail. If you want speed, try a simple game like tick tack toe. LOL