overclocking, should I have done it?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, to revive this thread, going for water cooling ali baba style.

Decide to watch a few boob tube videos, got my head straight about this trend and what tech is involved. Seems much like a hybrid car, and easy for me to comprehend, now to stick this in a tempered glass antec case mid tower sized before this coming Christmas.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am going for amd AM4 socket 3000 series. All OC. The MB is on order, should have that from china in a month or so, shipping is shyte with canada lately with trump and his yapping idiots do to much on twiiter on how he whats to dominate hypocrisy.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
After studying voltages and how they influence QPI and rail voltages on different setups, I feel safe. My current frankestein is holding a solid two month overclock on air cooled @ 82c.

I could get that down ro 40c easy water cooled, but this socket is discontinued, even if I can overclock to 4.7ghz. It is after all just a supposed non oc chip, 3.02ghz I7 950, 1366. So after 14 yrs, is this what they call a silicon valley disney chip? yeah. But now, I cant keep up with my curiosity.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My sister went into hospital again the other night, monday, came out today, starting to be a habit, not feeling it. So shouldering/soldering down in work and hobbies to keep mind straight.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, change of plans on the build. Bought a kit from slovenia. EKWB seemed a much better way to go than the ali baba.

I will be going also not the RGB route as said before/wrote before.

I can't wait to fire it up.

Got to a almost burning overclock the other day on my current build, hence my need for water and wanting another buold that will last at least ten yrs FULL on.

Anyway, here is the kit on order. EK a240. https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/ek-kit-a240 It did end up being more expensive, but I am assured of their custumer service compared to an ali baba site. ;)

I have talked to so many ppl, they start not making sense after a while. I will water cool with regular automotive antifreeze. Have no qualms about that.

Just open the hood of a modern car. What do you see? A pc in a hood. I know for a fact antifreeze has all the goodies of what cooler companies in the pc dept say a pc needs. But they say glycol will hurt the plastics and o rings. I call BS on that and am willing to risk a few hundred dollars damage just to prove that point over a long run.

Antifreeze has anti microbiological agents, and anti-corrosives, lubricants, ph additives and much more. Antifreeze deals with mixed metals in same system and lasts for hundreds of thousands of miles in harsh environment. Why would an antifreeze not live up to this in a very clean and controlled environment such as this, (meaning a home pc).?

Engine antifreeze also deals with high heat, and also cold. Obviously, don't need the chill factor here, but if a engine antifreeze can support boiling for long, long periods of time without degrading. Why not shove that in my cooling loop?

Plus, I like the neon green look of 50 50 mix prestone make. I could also go for honda blue!! It is after all up to me.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I try. ;)
You sure know how to entertain yourself.....
Not sure if that was a poke, but I will assume I amuse you, and that is my goal.

If not, life gets boring for me. I have always needed hobbies. My son was diagnosed young for attention deficit etc. I didn't have that when I was young. In fact, It was almost unheard of back in the 70's early 80's. I always felt I was different, always doing something I should not be doing. My head is always in two different places and still have a hard time sleeping and sitting still. Even @ soon to be 45.

Anyway, it is a great deal of fun boosting pc's, and a heck of a lot cheaper than boosting cars. I did that for a few decades. That too was fun, but real expensive as HP's got harder to milk out.

I also like the fact that all this stuff can be learnt on my own.

I try. ;)

Not sure if that was a poke, but I will assume I amuse you, and that is my goal.

If not, life gets boring for me. I have always needed hobbies. My son was diagnosed young for attention deficit etc. I didn't have that when I was young. In fact, It was almost unheard of back in the 70's early 80's. I always felt I was different, always doing something I should not be doing. My head is always in two different places and still have a hard time sleeping and sitting still. Even @ soon to be 45.

Anyway, it is a great deal of fun boosting pc's, and a heck of a lot cheaper than boosting cars. I did that for a few decades. That too was fun, but real expensive as HP's got harder to milk out.

I also like the fact that all this stuff can be learnt on my own.
Not a poke.....but I do find your rants a bit entertaining. I hope that's OK....