Oops, my uncle did it again.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, funny and not so funny story that happened thursday.

My uncle was mowing lawn. It was 30+c outside, he left a few lumps of grass here and there, he is old and not so in good health to be mowing lawn in that temps, but I digress.

End of deal, spontaneous combustion, total tally of fire is not yet known, but two car totaled, one back yard shop melted, next door neighbor almost a car, AND NOT YET SURE IF HIS BACKYARD SHOP IS SAVEABLE.

Yikes, good thing the fireman made a report stating the fire originated in a grass heap, so this will be easy put on insurance. But alot of old tools and other sentimental burned. Oh well, no one got hurt, that is the best take away. And the fire didnt hit any of the main housing. And my aunts car was far enough to just get some flash burn on red paint. So at least they are mobile.

My uncle was a welder for big projects like manic 5 and such. SO fire is not new with him. Much like me.

However, I must say to my uncle, at your now 79 age, plz dont mow the lawn at 30+c and then go nappy out, you gotts pick up the grass you just mowed first. ;) o_O

grcauto

Praise the Lord no one got hurt.

NickD

wrench
Spontaneous combustion on cut grass on a lawn? New one on me, how tall was that grass? Sure common in Wisconsin farm country, neigbors barn burnt down, but like that movie Witness with Harrison Ford. All the neighbors came over to help rebuild it. My job was electrical, ha, standing on a 2 by 4, 40 feet above the ground is not my thing.

Now they are rolling up the hay in large plastic bags and leaving them out in the fields.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I dont know, maybe some gas spilled or maybe some oil residue of when my uncle works on the yard. My uncle is a weirdo in this regards. His idea of rust proofing his volks diesels is dumping oil on engine and going for a drive, he says the oil flows across the under side of car. Safe to say, I never like working on his cars. o_O

So, update is, he found a car, a 2016 voks jetta with 70k km on it. He always liked those cars for some reason, and they are going to get concrete slab instead of the old wood that was there for his shop floor. The old wood slab was pretty much all that was left after the fire.

The neighbor is still waiting on insurance, they are still evaluating if structure should be rebuilt.