Oil temp sensor location

Hello,
I’m working on a 2007 Impreza with a 2.5l boxer engine (not sure if it’s a sohc or dohc though). Producing P0197 code. Trouble is I can find the oil pressure sensor but not the possible problematic oil temperature sensor. Watched some YouTube videos and it’s not under the wiring harness area on the passenger side of the engine. Any ideas as to where it’s located would be appreciated.
Thanks

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
For the non turbo 2.5l, it IS located Rear of passenger head right below the ignition coil pack. #8. Should be visible right below the main engine wire harness quick disconnect on that side of boxer. If you don't see it there, you have a turbo engine DOHC. So keep looking, should be a two wire deal.

Screenshot (316).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
For the turbo engine, it DOES NOT have a oil temp sensor and hence cannot give you that code.

So you DO HAVE a non turbo engine, and you are just missing it.

Mind you, I fix canada only models, some may differ, but somehow, I don't think so.

I wish I could help you more. But all the boxer engine's I have worked on with out turbo were located always in the exact same spot as shown in my alldata pic and probably same place you tube sent you to. And I have worked on a lot of boxers of this era.

Also, I know you are a newbie, so I don't want to sound like I am a prick or anything. But only the single over head cam had the temp sensor. The other DOHC didn't need or have one, hence no codes for that in data base and engine block is not the same casting also. Heads completely different etc.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If in fact, it is a turbo engine. You should see that with the dual cam heads and the intercooler.

And if again, it is a turbo, how in the heck did you get that code?

So lets make sure you have facts straight. SOHC 2.5liter, 2007 impreza. Yes? Not a WRX or a STI? Yes?

If yes to all of the above and this car is made for the north americas, that sensor is located right where that above picture shows it.

What scanner are you using BTW?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Can you read the actual oil temp in live data, or is it just a simple code reader you are using. Cuz diagnostic of this code will differ.

I am pretty sure this may even be the actual video on boob tube you saw. And yes, that is exactly where it is.

Right below the coil pack.

Screenshot (317).png

Maybe this should be moved to imports.
Thanks for getting back to me nickb2,

Had a busy day so haven’t been able to respond till now. It’s a friends car so I’ll double check on what model it is. But I’m pretty sure it’s an Impreza wagon (that’s what it looked like to me anyway). Definitely non-turbo though. The sensor under the alternator is an oil pressure sensor (pulled it out to make sure). I did look in the area you described but will take a double check when I see the car again. The scanner I’m using is the Innova 3130c so I’ll also check for live data on the oil temperature next time I’m with the car. Once I’ve done all this I’ll get back to you.

Also, the car appears to operate just fine despite the code. I don’t like to leave vehicles with codes though and would like to figure out the issue.

Thanks again, it’s appreciated