Notorious issues with the Jeep Liberty

eddieguy

Hey guys as some of you know my old car went bye bye and so im looking around. I wanted to get opinions on the jeep liberty. Seems like when im checkin them out on for sale sights a lot of them have issues. What problems are they known for and is that the case in all years. I posted here instead of domestic because i dont really have one but just inquiring about the reputation of them

NickD

wrench
Only person I trust when purchasing a used vehicle is me, prefer purchasing from a new vehicle dealer because I can take it home for three days, and check it out myself, brakes, running gear, electronics, look weird aftermarket crap, engine compression, manual oil pressure., tires and alignment.

I know what these guys give in a trade in, and not even close to the so-called blue book value, also know they already took the major problems to the auction so gives a head start. Stay far far away from used car dealers and even further from private parties, unless you know them. And buying a used vehicle is buying someone else's problems.

Can always find about a specific vehicle, year, make, model, engine by doing a google search, if you are talking 4WD, really need a close check, those transfer cases are not cheap, course today, nothing is cheap, thanks to recent crooked politician killing more than 7000 rebuilders, and sending all this crap to China for some really piss poor rebuilding.

Can't use politically correct language when I think about this, really have some crooks in Washington DC that don't give a damn about us.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The engines and trannys per sey are actually nice and dont give us techs greif, if you can, stay away from the first gen ones.

Up here, they were not winner chicken dinner,

Mostly, they have same issues as all other mopars of this era, PDC corrosion causing all kinds of gremlins.

I am assuming and hoping you are not looking into a 2002-2007 and more into the second gen 2012

Previous gen was horrible on viscous coupling and seeped oil from every where.

But yeah, my $.02$.02 is not worth much as this type of ride is very regional. Up here, they didnt sell very well. The KJ was not really meant for this terrain up here with the climate we have. If you want a real 4x4, go for the cheaper one. Rust is a major issue.

I have not seen one do well in the cosmetic dept. But if you live in a region that is not nordic like, it is a good work horse.

The 3.7l engines are great. The rear train sucks and is a money pit. SO up to you to decide. They are not upgradable freindly, and if you do, be prepared to have a bank account for that, and stay far away from the first gen 2.4l unless you just want it to go grab kids and coffee what not.

Perssonally, I think they are ugly as heck. Much like a PT cruiser smashed into a jeep wrangler.

But as I say often here, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

They are the soccar mom version of a 4x4

But I digress, I have not asked you why you want or need this particular vehicle. comfort, or 4x4

And since I like being that a hole, I wouldnt even look twice at this kind of suv. The KK version just dont work as they did back when, mopar did not deliver, sales dwindled for a reason.

For a bit more, look into a rav4. Never see those in the shop except for normal stuff. Jeeps, just plain nightmare in electrical.

But never forget, I am a die hard toyota lover. Those things go for ever with extremely minimal maintenance.

Thats just cuz I dont like fixing my own shyte.
:p:p

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The engines and trannys per sey are actually nice and dont give us techs greif, if you can, stay away from the first gen ones.

Up here, they were not winner chicken dinner,

Mostly, they have same issues as all other mopars of this era, PDC corrosion causing all kinds of gremlins.

I am assuming and hoping you are not looking into a 2002-2007 and more into the second gen 2012

Previous gen was horrible on viscous coupling and seeped oil from every where.

But yeah, my $.02$.02 is not worth much as this type of ride is very regional. Up here, they didnt sell very well. The KJ was not really meant for this terrain up here with the climate we have. If you want a real 4x4, go for the cheaper one. Rust is a major issue.

I have not seen one do well in the cosmetic dept. But if you live in a region that is not nordic like, it is a good work horse.

The 3.6l engines are great. The rear train sucks and is a money pit. SO up to you to decide.

Perssonally, I think they are ugly as heck. Much like a PT cruiser smashed into a jeep wrangler.

But as I say often here, opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.

They are the soccar mon version of a 4x4

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
POC (point of case) when working up north, one, I repeat one, jeep liberty 2004ish (i think) was rented to a group of inuits. It lasted four months. The thing litterally disintregated and was walking around shefferville picking up peices of this jeep. It just fell apart. Boss had bought it for rental, thinking it would work since it was written 4x4. Nope. Didnt happen.

Mind you and me in these sensitive times of social racism, these inuits were almost above obese. When I finnally got it back to shop, rear end was just a bobbly head thing.