Shoresy

Make
International
Model
Year
Miles
Engine
dt466e
Okay, I have a 01 International with the dt446e. So my guys have been driving this truck for a couple weeks and about a week ago it died randomly. Acted like it ran out of fuel. Tried to prime the system via primer and by pressurizing the tank with the injector lines cracked loose. got it to start and it ran like all hell when it was idling. went to test drive it and under load it seems like it looses prime? it will idle for a long time but under load it dies again. ive changed filters, checked the fuel pickup tube, checked all the fuel lines and still no prevail. ive completely replaced the fuel filter housing, primer, check valve, and filters. there was a small chunk out of the rubber check ball (i guess thats what its called) just at the rear of the filter housing. it ran for about a week then today it had the same issue. checked the fuel lines because i thought it might be pulling air into the system? i can prime it for forever and it wont prime up. primer is really spongy, it takes no effort to pump it. But if i let it sit by itself for just 10 mins, it will start. ive been racking my brain with this damn thing. im pretty sure its fuel related because my driver told me when it dies it chugs like its been ran out of fuel.. is there a lift pump somewhere? maybe its too weak to provide the fuel it needs under load? i can hold RPM's at 2300 all day as long as the truck isnt moving, but as soon as the demand for fuel is needed maybe she just cant keep up? this seems to happen too randomly for that though? could there be an ECM related problem that this sounds like? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Hey nickb2, I wish you wouldn't lead off our replies to the OP with a non-relevant video. A newbie might figure we are a bunch of flakes and never come back. I hope one of the diesel techs will post soon with some real help.

JackC

wrench
I second that. No offense nickb2 but the irrelevant information and videos do not add anything positive to this site. So Nick, please give us your professional and highly qualified automotive information. We respect that. Just give us the great knowledge you have acquired and continue to add to with your classes and experience.

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, I have a 01 International with the dt446e. So my guys have been driving this truck for a couple weeks and about a week ago it died randomly. Acted like it ran out of fuel. Tried to prime the system via primer and by pressurizing the tank with the injector lines cracked loose. got it to start and it ran like all hell when it was idling. went to test drive it and under load it seems like it looses prime? it will idle for a long time but under load it dies again. ive changed filters, checked the fuel pickup tube, checked all the fuel lines and still no prevail. ive completely replaced the fuel filter housing, primer, check valve, and filters. there was a small chunk out of the rubber check ball (i guess thats what its called) just at the rear of the filter housing. it ran for about a week then today it had the same issue. checked the fuel lines because i thought it might be pulling air into the system? i can prime it for forever and it wont prime up. primer is really spongy, it takes no effort to pump it. But if i let it sit by itself for just 10 mins, it will start. ive been racking my brain with this damn thing. im pretty sure its fuel related because my driver told me when it dies it chugs like its been ran out of fuel.. is there a lift pump somewhere? maybe its too weak to provide the fuel it needs under load? i can hold RPM's at 2300 all day as long as the truck isnt moving, but as soon as the demand for fuel is needed maybe she just cant keep up? this seems to happen too randomly for that though? could there be an ECM related problem that this sounds like? any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys.
As I recall the lift pump is on the drivers side of the engine towards the front. Has 2 steel lines inlet and outlet. Those lines have a black hard rubber gasket under neath. They tend to crack with age and can suck air. Also those lift pumps fail regularly. Hope that help. Ran a bunch of these in my school bus fleet where I used to work