gmc ish
Year
1949ish
Miles
gazzilionish
Engine
6 inline
Ok, here goes,

first off, this is for a coworker a very cool friend.

song to follow thread.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
ok, here goes, coworker, slash buddy just bought two 1950ish gmc pickups.

in line six block is cracked open wide.

it is kind of a patina sort of project, but once he took off the intake, well low and behold, water had frozen and cracked it wide open, so I am going for a shoot in the dark, does anybody here know where to find a in line six for this type of truck?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
list of things he needs, block, and any thing heater related, the fan on the heater works, even found a beer opener and a DOW beer cap in said heater.

His name is Stephan btw, he is on the look out for anything chrome related, but this is a two plus two junkyard find.

Resurrecting this thing is going to take some USA ppl.

Up here in quebec, thes types of vintage truck are extremely rare.

But I do see that down in southern p-art of USA, these trucks are almost daily drivers.

So if anybody has some shyte lying around for this vintage post war truck, plz give me and my buddy stephan a holler.

we need block.

one of these. link to follow

;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_straight-6_engine

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
for those who may fall on this thread, putting shell on a s10 frame is not gonna work.

key word here is Resurrect.

We need window cranks, chrome knobs and such. All is shot to shyte.

shell came from hull slash ottowa, frame and engine trans came from up north, I think timmins or such.

From my understanding, my buddy stephan want to make it look like a whiskey run truck.

billr

wrench
Staff member
No total swap of body onto a later chassis, but what about an engine/trans swap? Even if you want to stick with an I-6, there is a later version engine that would probably fit right in and not look noticeably different.

I have contacts in this area that could probably lead me to parts for that old beast, maybe even a free block, but what about shipping costs???

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Thank you so very much for reply Billr.

As I wrote before, this old beast is for a friend slash co worker. From my understanding, he wants it to be as close to original as can be done.

I am pretty sure we could fit a 250 in there instead of the 228. But dont know if the muncie 3 speed will fit that block. This is why I have created this thread. You guys down there know more about this kind of stuff than us up here northern folk. ;)

So yes, any help you can provide to my good buddy stephan would be awesome. Sadly, he does not speak english very well. I had to help translate texto and such to broker the shell from hull in ontario.

As for shipping costs, he doesnt seem to mind. This is going to be his baby project for retirement.

I am going to assume shipping a in line six would be pricey, but anything else, such as chrome related stuff is going to be hard to find up here.

We were able to salvage the foot starter. So those little things I dont know if they fit a 250. Maybe he will want to upgrade to a small block v8, he has also said he wants it to be a bit rat pack style, keep the rust slash patina look to it. So maybe modding it wont mind his gear head, if you get my drift.

Again, thank you so much for any help you can provide.

If you wish, I can ask him to come here on bat auto, but as I said before, he sucks at english, and he may want to go through me, but if your willing to put up with his bad english, he maybe more equipped to answer some specific questions you may have. I will provide assistance in that dept for sure.

On the side, this new project of his has me itching for a new toy also, but my greek gf said to finish my other projects first. Women are awesome in that dept.

Anywho, say hi to wife and kids for me, hope you dont forget st valentines day. I am very happy you want to help with this project as I most assuredly know you know way more than us about these old trucks since you had that bronco and other projects like the maga squirt corvette etc.. So, yeah, I am confident that with the help of yourself and others here, we may get this truck up and running and ready for show maybe next summer.

rock and roll.

I think the biggest hurdle we may have is the interiour, what a rats nest. Sadly, when I was at his place the other day, I forgot my cell phone, so I dont have pictures yet, but I will post some, it may help to identify what we need.

Happy super bowl, cant wait to see what is next. thx

Best regards,

Nickb2:bat::fixed:;)

billr

wrench
Staff member
Continue to be our "interpreter", if you don't mind. It will probably be result in a better transfer of info.

I think the flywheel interchanges between the old "stovebolt" six and the later one, but I am not sure about the bell-housing/trans. I'll start doing some looking.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I am becoming convinced the bell-housing pattern is the same, as the first small-block V-8s were made to be interchangeable with the I-6 and the V-8 pattern never changed.

If you guys are intent on saving that old engine, first step is to determine just which variant it is. Measure bore and stroke, see how many main bearings there are, see if mains are insert or poured-babbit. You mentioned before about a "228", but I think it would have to be either a 216 or 235 cid. It looks like the later I-6s were physically smaller, so should be no problem to fit in. Even the later 292, with a taller block deck, still seems to be not as tall over-all.

Personally, I think the decision on whether to keep it "all vintage" or not will depend on the trans. Pretty much any engine can be OK to drive, but a 3-speed with no syncro into back into 1st (maybe no syncro at all???) is kind of a chore. If you "modify" it for a more modern trans, then why not the engine too?

paulo57509

Keeping the 228ci would be dependent on what can be re-used and what needs to be replaced. Obviously the block but what else is needed to end up with a running engine? IIRC, the 228ci has parts that are unique to that engine. Found this on another site:

I'm pretty sure another, more common engine will fit without much hassle.

These kinds of projects are fun - the research, scrounging for parts, etc. is 80% of it.

Edit:

billr

wrench
Staff member
After some more searching, I think the 228 was a GMC I-6, a completely different family of engines. Again, if you want to pursue repairing the existing engine it is imperative that it be identified correctly regarding M/M/Y. I think this can be done by displacement and bearing config.

Also again, you should focus on deciding if this is going to be an accurate restoration or can have an engine/trans swap. The two would be quite different projects!

PS: my apologies for missing (or over-looking) that this is a GMC truck. I got locked-on to it being a Chevy.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Take a peek at this website:

Oops, you will need a login to use that link. Go to <smokstak.com> for a guest preview of what is available there. It is well worth opening an account for. I am using it for my Generac help. Even if you don't open an account, look at the vast assortment of machinery info there!

Last edited: