High mileage oil

eddieguy

Just would like to know what makes an oil that's labeled as high mileage any different than an oil that's not designated for high mileage. My 2005 chevy Malibu max takes 5w 30 but since it's over 75000 it would be considered high mileage so I'm just curious of what's the difference in an oil designated high mileage

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
One of the things I know is that they use more detergent to help reduce sludge, the rest I got off the net. They add seal swelling agents and anti-oxidants and anti wear additives. Probably some other stuff which is proprietary to each brand.

I can't really attest to anything said in this article I will link to, cuz the dude answering is a valvoline director, but it answers your question about whats different.

But I do know when ppl use premium oil and do regular intervals, it shows when I tear into them. They are cleaner. Chains have less stretch etc.

I can't really see the harm in using it. At our shop, we use April mineral oil and the penzoil ultra series for those who want synthetic. We don't stock max life and such. But I did work for a shop once who did, never saw a drawback from the change to it.

Here is that link.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/use-high-mileage-oil-car.html