Model
Any
Year
any
Miles
More the greater the problem
Engine
Any
Been putting up with these for years, never have a problem because I load the inside of the boots with dielectric grease., pull off nice and easy. also used dielectric grease on this headlight assembly sockets, if you don't, that rubber will bake on.

Well my kid went ten years and 80K miles on the original coil on plugs, and guys that did the same thing ended up wrecking their coils with the same problem, this can run more than a couple of bucks.

That rubber hose is like a Chinese finger puzzle, the harder you pull the tighter it gets. Has to be some kind of tool to get under that rubber hose to compress it so it does come out free.

Could make one, anyone know of a good one to purchase? This was to be an extremely common problem.

Mobile Dan

wrench
No tool that I know of, just a procedure. Repeated twisting, combined with pushing and pulling can help get it loose. Don't twist it more than 1/8th of a turn in either direction, even if space allows it.

NickD

wrench
Ha, Use to be a GM fan, son's father-in-law a Ford fan, so my son became a Chrysler fan, has a 2010 Nitro and a 2014 T&C, both need new spark plugs. Watched a couple of youtubes on these models, some with some darn hard miles on them, none had problems removing the coils so maybe not a problem on these cars.

His father in-law gave them a 2000 Ford Taurus his dad had to help him to replace the spark plugs, with that car, the intake manifold had to be removed first with all the junk on top of it, so need help from his dad.

I see he purchased two more vehicles where the intake manifolds have to be removed first with all kind of junk on them as well. Told him, better order intake manifold gaskets, these have rubber on them. Also shocked to learn his 4.0L Nitro uses a timing belt, that has to be replaced soon. The 3.7L Nitro uses a chain and gets fresh lubrication with each oil change. Those crazy timing belts use extremely limited tensioners and idler pulleys and have to watch for camshaft seal leaks.

He did call his dealer, $265.00 to replace six spark plugs.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
with the local law cop cars 3.7l, even if they only have a few km's on them, they idle so much, the COP's cook on. That was a funny pun in my head. :cool:

A trick I use, is to pry them up a bit, just enough to get a seafoam red stick in there, and just shove a bunch of loose nut in there and let em sit for a lunch break or more.

But mind you, these are newish cars, with a 10 yrs old job that has never moved, just yank twist push or pull, there is no exact science to it and just have to put up with it. Once you restore it back to normal, just keep doing what you do by applying grease, or lobby the car companies to do so at factory. Fat chance of that ever happening, but at least you tried.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
At work we have a box of new rubber boots with the conductive spring on hand at all times this is so common on the ford interceptors.

The other day, had a eco tech in. boots cooked on so tight, I split casing of 4 banger coil pack trying to pry it off the plugs. No twisting or turning there is possible cuz of how it is designed.

Cost client a coil pack and 4 plugs. And yes, they had been there for 10 yrs. PPL think these cars just need one set of plugs for life of car, and clients beleive that a maintenance free car exists cuz the dealer says so. Here is the result.

I feel your pain, literally Nick, it hurts to twist like that at your age. :D

NickD

wrench
That's what the coil over plugs look like on our 2017 Elantra 2.0L engine, I did not use a stick, just struck the tip of my dielectric grease in those tubes and squeezed it, didn't fool around with a stick, but this goes back to the 90's when coil over plugs became popular.

Chrysler is not using these narrow tubes that bake on, some kind of plastic and wide, no problem pulling the off, but ran into a different problem, the upper intake manifold had to be removed with all kinds of tubes hoses and connectors connected to it.

This is what the upper intake manifold looks like.

Only about 2 inches wide for a 4.0L V6, but for some weird reason, they made that thing so wide, it completely covered all coils, so had to remove it first. Son called his dealer, wanted 275 bucks to replace the plugs, we did it for 24 bucks, the price for six iridium plugs. From rockauto of course, local auto dealers want nine bucks a plug and not in stock.