Autool SDT 206 Smoke Machine

©hester

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Same reply as last time for same question, but on a different brand of same shyte.

.I do have a memory, even though I listen to heavy metal and embrace liberal thinking.

If it does NOT has a leak meter going from .0 something to 3psi, it is of no use for detecting small medium or gross leaks. It will always be guesswork.

The gauge you see there on the tool is only for regulating SHOP air. The very good smoke machines will have a BAR indicator.

it IS NOT suitable for EVAP diagnosis because of what I just wrote above.

Here is an example of what you should buy.

Same price if not less, notice BAR meter.

https://www.amazon.ca/MRCARTOOL-Aut...ocphy=9000537&hvtargid=pla-553088709806&psc=1

So either you got your links messed up cuz the 202 should NOT be for evap testing, but the autool 206 will.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, just read all those links with fine tooth comb, site seems to me to be in error. Because the article does say exactly what I just wrote above, the 206 is an certified EVAP machine. NOT the 202.

But site that sells it, DOES say it is not a suitable EVAP machine. Which is false, the 202 is the false one.

I think the green one I linked to apeeals to me just cuz it has a carrying handle. But honestly, for 2$, I could probably fit something more to my liking with some china pearl white handle that would go good with my snap on china dinner plate set.

©hester

Well, just read all those links with fine tooth comb, site seems to me to be in error. Because the article does say exactly what I just wrote above, the 206 is an certified EVAP machine. NOT the 202.

But site that sells it, DOES say it is not a suitable EVAP machine. Which is false, the 202 is the false one.

I think the green one I linked to apeeals to me just cuz it has a carrying handle. But honestly, for 2$, I could probably fit something more to my liking with some china pearl white handle that would go good with my snap on china dinner plate set.
Thx for the 411. I'll let you know how it works.

grcauto

It's been my experience that the small leaks are hard to find with smoke. We used a nitrogen charge and spray around with soapy water to find the little leaks. The nitrogen will find it's way into the smallest cracks or minor connection issues because it's so much easier for the nitrogen atoms to 'squeeze' through the tiny area than the smoke or just using compressed air.
Even those intermittent small leaks you'll find them with compressed nitrogen.

©hester

It's been my experience that the small leaks are hard to find with smoke. We used a nitrogen charge and spray around with soapy water to find the little leaks. The nitrogen will find it's way into the smallest cracks or minor connection issues because it's so much easier for the nitrogen atoms to 'squeeze' through the tiny area than the smoke or just using compressed air.
Even those intermittent small leaks you'll find them with compressed nitrogen.
Thanks for your insight. I get the smaller molecule thing. but for the drive way mechanic an impractical procedure. Even with a lift and standing under the car, seeing tiny bubbles on top the gas tank would seem to be difficult.

However, I can see this saving time in a busy shop.