Make
Jeep
Model
Cherokee Limited
Year
Miles
Engine
3.2 V6
I bought a used Jeep Cherokee from a dealership a couple of months ago and everything has been fine until a couple of days ago when I noticed the car stalled when I pulled up to a stoplight. I restarted the car and it took off and stammered a couple of times then ran smoothly until the next stop, where problem repeated.
Long story short, I babied it back home and pulled into garage where it stalled again at idle.
I’m perplexed and need help from a Jeep expert—
I have a 4x4 with a 3.2 V6.
There are no faults showing on the screen—
Please advise —I have no clue as to cause!

I am NOT a fan of the dash code displays always have a scan done.
When you begin to slow and stop if the shuddering stalling starts shift to N - let us know if jeep smooths out.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Probably didn't have time to do a complete drive cycle and show lean codes since the jeep was limped in to HIS garage, but first thing, check readiness monitors and if trims showing, then check FP pressure.

Live data would show us trims at time of bad idle and stalling and show us which way to go.

SOme idiot got under my skin, so maybe anything coming out of my mouth or fingertips at this point is gobbledygook.

Last edited:

roser601

I checked for codes with scan tool and found none. Could not find an EGR valve on the engine. Checked the air filter and it was pretty clean.
Took the connecting tube off of throttle body and it looked as though it could use a cleaning so I took it off the engine and cleaned the build up from the inside of throttle body being careful not to get spray into the electrical hookup and module.
Finished cleaning with toothbrush and a cloth.
Re-installed the throttle body and when I started the car it Idled smoothly and took it out for a drive and it performed without any problems.
Thanks to all that responded with advice—it was a big help!