2004 nissan xterra,3.3,runs fine until I get it on the freeway and it loses throttle response

If you have "live data" available, what is the Vehicle Speed Sensor doing?

If you clear the Knock sensor code, does it reset after "failure event"?

Hey Dan...the VSS does nothing....yes, I cleared the knock sensor code and right after it came back the truck started doing it's thing...lol...Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
Um... live-data is useless if you don't watch it while the problem is happening. If you are trying to do this while driving, maybe nickb2 can steer you toward some ELM327 HW and SW that will provide data-logging.

kev2

wrench
Was reading post to learn esp being a xterra - BUT did I miss something, did you check for codes - current and PENDING ?

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I have NO knowledge of this, but I was wondering if your possible intermittent or even false coded knock sensor problem would tell the ECM to not go over 1500 rpm in order to keep from damaging the engine??? Or because the speedo is not working the ECM sometimes thinks it should not supply enough fuel because you are not going fast enough.

Actually you do, because this is probably exactly what is crapping out at highway speeds cruise I imagine. Taking a snapshot if possible of live data of crap out would be sweet.

I have seen this before with nissan pcm that crap out. I remember a nissan tsb on some of these era 4x4's having to to with early fly by wire. I will check data base, I may be a year or a decade off, I just see to many to remember em all.

Surey sounds like a limp in mode. I would repair those dtcs pronto. Can you get those #s for me Jim?

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This used a throttle drum vac system.

It maybe loosing vac and that why and high accelerate you do fine, booting around and such, but would account for loosing accell at cruise speeds.

Reminds me of old cruise systems with the bomb.

ok...it is fixed.....I found a link that said to reset the ecm....It was something like turn on ign,pump acc 5 times wait 7 sec., hold acc down for 10 sec., up for 10,then down for 10 m,and after I did that the speedo started working and the car ran fine...weird......thanks for all the help....Jim