Friday

Make
Volkswagen
Model
Beetle
Year
Miles
Engine
My granddaughter has a 2001 Beetle with auto transmission. She called me yesterday to take her to work as her car wouldn't move. I went over and looked at it. It will start just fine, but taking it out of Park into any gear and the transmission does not engage, it behaves as if it is in neutral. I tried a reset procedure I found on the web. Turn key on, press and hold the accelerator down for 5 secs and release. That didn't help any. I am not familiar with this car. The last Volkswagen I owned was a 1965 Bug back in 1974. Can anyone point me to some troubleshooting procedures I can try?

bp042665

hunting nut
well first off you need to check fluid level . Is the engine light or a wrench light on

NickD

wrench
About the only mechanical function on these things is dropping a paw in a toothed gear when in park, rest is working with switch contacts, in particular what use to be the neutral safety switch, also have a brake switch. More contact cleaning, switching in and out solenoid valves. Use to have a separate AT module most to save a buck or two added the AT controller to the ECU, or whatever they call in. Friend with a 2004 VW had his cruise control circuit added to his ECU.

I couldn't open it, filled with epoxy but no continuity for the cruise control circuitry, his only choice was to go back to his VW dealer for a new ECU, also need them to program it, was out 1400 bucks.

His switch contacts were good.

Friday

well first off you need to check fluid level . Is the engine light or a wrench light on
Yes, the engine light is on, but I was told it was on when they bought it, because of some other malfunction. I read that these cars set transmission codes separately from engine codes and require a special scan tool to retrieve them. Is that true? Also, can you tell me where the transmission fluid dipstick is? I couldn't see it.

Last edited:

paulo57509

It's not a total repair manual, but here's an ATSG Tech Manual that may be of some help.

Hover your cursor over the page "image" and a download (for free) icon will appear in the toolbar at the bottom.

There is no dipstick - just a fill and check plug. The idea is you remove the Oil Level Check plug and fill the case through the fill plug until fluid starts to come out the drain (see Fig. 1 in the manual).

Last edited: