1998 Mazda B2500 where is the RABS computer located

grcauto

Here's the flow chart. I suggest you glean what you can from the chart and look at the wiring diagrams and get a good handle on the circuit and then use the loaded circuit test rather than the resistance tests they mention. Here's also the four main wiring diagrams in order.

Attachments

Just to be clear. this vehicle either has 4 wheel ABS or R(rear)ABS. One or the either not both. Correct? I am asking as gmW3 shows both modules connected to the VSS on the diff. I believe I only have the RABS unit.

The diagram shows both on the same page, but only one part or the other will apply. I found it interesting that the 4w abs version uses a abs module, but the rabs version goes to the GEM. Perhaps approaching this problem from another angle would be helpful...I would like to know exactly how the speedo gets it's info about vehicle speed.
If you had a scanner which could read "live data", I would say drive the truck and look at vehicle speed data. If you had a bad speedo head, the scanner would still show actual vehicle speed.
Is your odometer still clocking mileage?
If you have cruise, does it work?
If you have automatic transmission, does it upshift at the expected shift points?

Last edited:

grcauto

Just to be clear. this vehicle either has 4 wheel ABS or R(rear)ABS. One or the either not both. Correct? I am asking as gmW3 shows both modules connected to the VSS on the diff. I believe I only have the RABS unit.
Ignore the area that does not pertain to your application.

grcauto

It's the way they order the diagrams. They have all available options in each diagram. You just follow what pertains to your application.

The diagram shows both on the same page, but only one part or the other will apply. I found it interesting that the 4w abs version uses a abs module, but the rabs version goes to the GEM. Perhaps approaching this problem from another angle would be helpful...I would like to know exactly how the speedo gets it's info about vehicle speed.
If you had a scanner which could read "live data", I would say drive the truck and look at vehicle speed data. If you had a bad speedo head, the scanner would still show actual vehicle speed.
Is your odometer still clocking mileage?
If you have cruise, does it work?
If you have automatic transmission, does it upshift at the expected shift points?
I think i have something that I can use while the car is running, logging onto my computer. I'll check this evening. I see the point - if the sender is good the speed will show, but if the speedometer itself is bad - no output shown on it.
No mileage clocking (I think that's true, will confirm)
No cruise control,
5 spd.