wicked shaking

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by jkoch6, Apr 6, 2017.

1. jkoch6

jkoch6 Sr. Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:chevy
    MODEL:savana
    YEAR:2011
    MILES:105000
    ENGINE:not sure
    DESCRIBE ISSUE.... When van hit 45 mph it starts to shake very bad until it gets above 55mph, after 55 it smooths back out. Any ideas? Thanks Alot!

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Did this just come on suddenly/recently? Check the tires for any kind of bulges or "bubbles". Check them carefully, it may not be real obvious. You may need to jack up each front wheel, to turn it while holding a pointer near suspicious areas. I'm not talking about dial-indicator accuracy, just something like the tip of a pencil or screwdriver held by hand.

While you are down there checking tires, take a peek at the suspension/steering components, see if any look obviously loose or damaged.

3. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Do you feel the shake more in your seat or your steering wheel?

When slowing down from speeds above 55mph, does the shaking begin again?

4. kev2

kev2 wrench

shaking that comes at speed and fades with higher speed is classic balance, and dans thought steering wheel of seat of pants feeling often helps ID front or rear...
    As Bill suggested visual check 1st, maybe a missing balance weight...

5. jkoch6

jkoch6 Sr. Member

steering wheel shakes like crazy. can barley hold on to it. it does shake when slowing down too. do you mean balance weight for the wheel? Thanks alot!

6. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

A missing wheel weight is sometimes an easy find if there is evidence of "where it USED to be".

Checking for loose lug nuts would be worthwhile just to be safe...

Not sure if that vehicle uses a "idler arm", but of so, that is pretty easy to check.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  7. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

8. jd

jd Hero Member

Lifted? Modified? Suggest you gOOgle "Death Wobble." Hopefully your problem is NOT that. I've experienced it and it's no fun. Old Ford van. Company truck so I didn't have to try to fix it. Cruising along, cross a railroad track. Didn't have to be a rough one. Wheel would shimmy till I was about to a stop.

9. FL_Bill

FL_Bill Newbie

I agree with above, most likely a bad tire or an out of balance tire. You could also check the drive shaft and if this thing is 4wd maybe the cv axles in the front too. I would jack up the rear axle and put it in neutral and spin the wheels. Maybe even pit it in drive at idle and watch the tires spin. Be careful and stay off the highway until you figure it out. (And fix it.)

FL Bill

10. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Well, that quote is quite alarming. Dangerous even.:eek:

Normally, a steering wheel will not shake crazy, to the point of barely able to hold on to it, if a wheel or two is out of balance. This sounds more like a bad steering suspension part.

45-55mph is a floating point where a loose steering part will start to shimmy so bad, but it also the magic point for wheel balance problems to appear. So unless a huge 3-4ounce wheel weight popped off, and still then, the steering won't shake to that point unless this was an exaggeration. If a tire were separating itself, or a rim was bent that bad,that would be almost apparent at low speed and you would see your steering go back and forth whilst just rolling.

My advice, get the wheels balanced, that way you kill many birds with one stone. The tire guy can see the out of roundness on the tire balancer. Eliminate crooked rim, bad tire, and out of balance. Also, that chokes out bad torque on wheel lug nuts.

After the tires and rims are known to be true and balanced and properly torqued, have a tech at the tire shop check for slop in the steering and suspension. This is probably the most cost effective way to check this out. Most shops will charge on average of 10$ per wheel for balancing, so that is only 20$ for piece of mind in the front. The suspension check may be free, depends on the shop. They do want your business, so most times, checking the slop is beneficial to the shop and they do that for free to get the job.

Well, that was my $.02

11. jkoch6

jkoch6 Sr. Member

It is missing weights on front pass side. looks like 2 are missing. Thanks. I will take it in monday

12. jkoch6

jkoch6 Sr. Member

It's fixed! Took it to a garage, they put 4 new tires, new front shocks, rides like a dream. It really was shaking so bad it was hard to hold the steering wheel. Just like those "death wobble" videos on you tube. Thanks again for all the help!

13. jd

jd Hero Member

Happy for you! Thanks for letting us know.