What is the wierdest tool you ever fabricated under duress??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickb2, Mar 4, 2015.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Mine was a windshield removal tool made out of bicycle brake wire and its handle bar grips for comfort. Cracked a few windshields at first, but those BMX handlebar grips were really comfortable.:eek:

I used this tool for a few years, mostly on old hondas that rusted in lower driver side and creaked the windshield due to stress of the uni-body. Once the windshield was removed, could weld in a few brace plates and still use old windshield once I got the hang of my new tool BMX recycled homemade tool.

No worries guy's, got my son a new BMX, he had grown out of that one anyway.:pizza:

Would use drill bit paste to give the wire bite and lubrication.

Can't wait to see if this new thread will take off. I think we all have used unconventional tools or made them ourselves, but remember SAFETY FIRST. If your tool hurt someone else or yourself, post the experience, but do not give us the plans of it. Some unsuspecting person may just try it at home.:confused:

2. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Here is another one bicycle related. Also to get this thread started.

I had to redo my home theater system in my old basement. I set steel threaded rods from joists to come through the hung ceiling to hold the drop down screen and hold my tv projector platform. I thought with all the nuts that this would take forever to thread those nuts onto the many two and a half foot full threaded rods hanging through the now hung ceiling.

I used a old bike tube to thread the nut with my battery driven drill. Up was reverse, leveling was slow set on drill, and restarting cuz I forgot a washer was full on reverse. Was able to do job in one day. Set up was level and still had good arm strength to uncap a cold beer at the end of the day. I used a hockey puck attached to my drill stem bit to drive the tube for traction and tube integrity. I think at this point everyone gets the picture. Saved hours.

At one point, was even able to use bike tube to thread two rods at a time if I pulled hard enough sideways on the drill. Hope you guys get the picture. Best use of a bike tube ever IMOP.:bat:

Here is pick of mock up for my equipment for home theater base. Notice threads on rods and number of washers and nuts. Used same bike tube to thread them all while sipping a cold one. See pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Great design there...you can adjust those shelves to any position if you need to.

4. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Paint stirrer on a drill works great to hollow out a pumpkin for Halloween.

Attached Files:

5. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

[​IMG]Sometimes a combination of simple things can get those high branches trimmed to meet neighborhood requirements.

Attached Files:

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Paint stirrer on a drill works great to hollow out a pumpkin for Halloween.

Wondering if a cake mixer would work. Shank would fit on my drills no problem. Clean up would be a biacth. Would probably work for the gremlin pumkins;)

Let try to keep this thread alive. Never know what silly idea actually works sometimes.:)

Annie Oakley likes this.
  7. Connie

Connie FISH ON!!!!!!!

Grizzly Bear Mobile Heavy Equip Repair owner/mech
    I took a dinner fork and made a tool for cleaning out the impeller seal and shaft on a huge chopper pump for pumping out the manure lagoons on dairys to the sprinkler carts and gun to distribute cow manure to the field for fertilizing. I put 2 good bends in it and the company that made the pump patented my tool as their own after I showed it to one of their mechanics trying to help him out when he came out for an internal repair of the pump.....grrr! LOL!

8. Annie Oakley

Annie Oakley Newbie

Retired military.
    A friend of mine in Finland was encouraging me to learn to read Finnish. He sent me picture of a Finnish newspaper article (with pictures!) about a machinist who retired and to keep himself busy in those long, arctic winters, he figured out how to convert a cordless drill into a .22 caliber machine gun. It was a very interesting story.

9. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Hey, I finally get to participate here. Over the years I have made a variety of tools, but none that were really weird, just applications of normal machining or engineering principles. However, that recent thread about the roof-rack reminded me:

Years ago, when my '69 Corvette was our main "daily driver", I made a lumber rack for it. A full-sized rack for holding 4' x 8' sheets of plywood or drywall. I got a lot of shocked looks when sales-people asked if I had a truck to load into and heard "no, I have a Corvette". They were further amazed to see how easy it was to load, since it was only about 48" off the ground. I have long-since acquired large vehicles to haul this kind of stuff, but the Corvette rack is still around to haul stuff too bulky to fit in a truck (like a one-piece bath/shower unit).

Load capacity? Who knows, but I try to keep it under 1000#. It's immediate predecessor was made out of just wooden pieces, being intended for just one sheet of something. I kept pushing that limited until one day I had ten sheets of drywall on it (1/2" probably) and made a quick left-turn to get through commute traffic at an intersection (San Pablo Av. & Central in El Cerrito, JackC). The Corvette and I went one way, the drywall load went the other... Ah, those were the days!

oddone1975 likes this.
  10. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh a Corvette pick up truck. Is that the same Corvette that is now turned into a storage bench?

11. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Yes.

12. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
  13. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

Here is Bill, sitting on the hood of his Corvette, eating his lunch and wondering how many sheets of drywall he can load onto his roof-rack.[​IMG]

14. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Too funny. @ Bill, you are always a "funny" guy.

Basically what I tried to say to the other guy.

@ Dan, that is one big a$$ load. Do you have any idea what that payload is?

15. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Kind of looks nuclear.