transmission rebuild trouble

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by rogway1980, May 6, 2017.

1. rogway1980

rogway1980 Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:chevrolet
    MODEL:1500 sierra
    YEAR:2000
    MILES:343000
    ENGINE:5.3
    DESCRIBE IISSUE....I just had my trans rebuilt and had problems with it shifting. To keep it from slipping l have to manual shift and it shifts fine I've been driving it for a few days and now it's starting to get worse going into overdrive had to let all the way off gas to get it to finally go into gear . It supposedly had a complete build done on it but have had problems since the day I put it in can anyone maybe give me a lil info what's goin on with it

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

What does the rebuilder have to say - there must be some guaranty/warranty. I am sure they would at least scan for you.
    I am guessing a 4L60E trans - am I correct?

Anyway I would start with scanning for codes, How does fluid level look - enough, bright red, any particles?

My guess is there are codes and electrical issues...

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I will PM bp, there are now two threads that need his attention...

4. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I had a problem yesterday with a suburban 5.3l, year 2004 with a 4l60e trans. The IGN 0 fuse was blown and it would not shift. Scanner was showing default gear as 2nd so I could feel it bogging at low speed and no third or overdrive.

That may be a starting point. I had multiple codes in the shift solenoid dept, so obviously I was expecting an open or short somewhere. Here it was the fuse. I still don't know why the fuse blew. I had replaced the engine in this burb last week or so and was waiting on a part to deliver the truck so I had not road tested it yet.

On these transmissions, there is a 20way connector that goes on the side of the trans. Passenger side. It is hidden behind a metal heat shield by two 10mm bolts. All shift solenoids and TCC solenoid and pressure control solenoid power and return go through there. Maybe when they installed the rebuilt, they incorrectly seated this connector.

So, as Kev2 said, first step is to get it scanned for powertrain codes. Funny thing is, on the burb, no check engine light lit up but the codes were there in the trans data display of my scanner.

Here is a wiring of that fuse location and what it powers. Screenshot (95).png

5. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I know why it did not light up the mil light, I did not do two consecutive trips/drive cycles.

As we can see in the above snapshot, PCM defaults to second gear/D2 line pressure. So, my guess is that if the MIL light is on, any cheap code reader should be able to get trans codes in the powertrain section.

Of note, this model truck only came with electronic trannies. 4l60-65e's and 4l80-85e's. The 'E' obviously stand for electronic. So all troubleshooting is essentially the same.

6. kev2

kev2 wrench

I always suggest checking for codes -
    1) not all codes will turn MIL/SES light on.
    2) we do not know for sure light works.

7. dabunk

dabunk wrench

Home Page:
    All you have to do is turn the key on to check and know if the bulb is good.

8. kev2

kev2 wrench

condition 1 still applies -
    easiest thing to post is - "scan for codes" = 3 words
    Or post location of CEL and explain time on during BIT, and ask if remains after BIT timeout . . = more than 3 words :)

I am sending Christie back to y'all,

9. bp042665

bp042665 hunting nut

yes check for codes and also i have had the tps do this same thing the computer isnt reading the throttle increase to give more line pressure so we need to check live data also