Toyota vsc and poo51

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:toyota
MODEL:camry
YEAR:2007
MILES:140k
ENGINE:3.5
DESCRIBE ISSUE....got a vsc light on and p0051 code not sure if they are related. Checked gas cap. Seemsto be ok. Rubber gasket good. any help appreciated

Not a 2GR-FE engine.

Be sure to only use Toyota AF sensors if replacing...
P0051 B2S1 AF ratio sensor heater circuit low...
testing heater - A/F sensor heater current 1.8 to 3.4 A at 20°C (68°F)

• Open in A/F sensor heater (bank 2, sensor 1) circuit
    A/F sensor heater (bank 1, 2, sensor 1)
  • A/F HTR relay
  • ECM
VSC light on - will post later - not an easy troubleshoot.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. I help when I can
Ok, quick one on this. Some vehicles will disable ABS,VSC,TCS etc when a VCS code sets.

First, check to see if the primary code is the P0051. This code for your car means heater circuit B2 S1. Not remotley related to your gas cap. That is and should code a emission code.

nickb2

if you are getting a VCS code, pull that one first, you will be surprised, might have a ecm disabled VCSéABSéTCS due to a bad o2 sensor

nickb2

Shyte, for some reason my keyboard did not convert to english. Deal with the o2 senor issue first, if the vehicle stability control code still comes back after fixing the o2 b2 s1, I will provide further guidance.

O2 sensor and A/F sensor are somewhat interchangeable terms. Most likely find that heater element inside the sensor has failed. VSC light is probably illuminated only to "get your attention" and there is no actual problem with VSC.
Ohms test of heater circuit in sensor will probably show "open circuit".

nickb2

O2 sensor and A/F sensor are somewhat interchangeable terms. Most likely find that heater element inside the sensor has failed. VSC light is probably illuminated only to "get your attention" and there is no actual problem with VSC.
Ohms test of heater circuit in sensor will probably show "open circuit".
Thank you Mobile Dan. You just wrote essentially what I was trying to say, but in simpler words. Now all we need to do is stay abreast of this thread and follow up on the OP. ;) BTW, hows life in kentucky, any snow yet?

I was looking at average snow falls for kentucky, you guy's get maybe 0.1inch per snow fall, for maybe a total of 22inches a year. Wow. That is like a dream for me. I call that cuba vacation time.

Last edited:

nickb2

Funny thing about the above song, three electric guitars, not one of them plugged in. :eek:

Since I am in a good mood. The trumpets in the following video add more credibility to this jovial crew.

nickb2

Dictionary definition of an AF sensor is a lambda reading of the air fuel mixture. Mostly piezoelectric back in the days of these old toy's. Trying to get an ideal fuel to air mixture of 14.7-1. An o2 sensor is the same thing as dan mentioned above. I think even to this day, toyota refers to o2 sensor as A/F sensors.

Other companies also, such as BMW, Benz and etc.

Once you know both are the same, confusion should subside, and live data will always be live data.

nickb2

Sometimes, when you look at some live data, AF reading will mimick O2 readings. So I can see how the UN-initiated could get confused. When you are looking at fuel system efficiency control live data, you may often see AF and 02 sensor readings on same live data page. Usually, the AF ratio reading is the one that is actually correcting the long term fuel trims. But in today's car jargon, they are all just basically refereed to as Oxygen sensors. S1 corrects the short term, S2 checks the S1 to see if the ideal ratio is being met, that is where learning long term and short term fuel ratios is worth a bit of study. ;)

It is an AF sensor, Sorry I did not differentiate o2 or AF sensor.
YES can be confusing there is even a caveat* in the manual mentioning the term may be o2 in text but the component is AF