towing capacity of a 2011 nissan frontier crew cab V6 2wd

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by stevem, Mar 1, 2017.

1. stevem

stevem Jr. Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: nissan
    MODEL: frontier
    YEAR: 2011
    MILES: 100,000
    ENGINE: v6
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....
    I'm thinking about buying a travel trailer to pull behind this vehicle and am finding it difficult to determine the maximum load it can pull. The travel trailer salesmen are not a lot of help on this. Each lot is giving me a different number. Anywhere from 4000 to 6000 lbs.

Do any of you have a recommended maximum towing weight for this truck?

Is there anything mechanical that you think I should do to this truck before beginning to pull a travel trailer?

Steve

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

First look in the owners manual, next there is a sticker on the drivers door frame, next google for a free owners manual or weight limits.
    The salesman would be considered a unreliable source of this info - Do you remember - if his lips are moving.....?

Anything to consider for towing -
    TRANSMISSION COOLER!! for automatic trans, otherwise a well maintained vehicle.

OH hell see attachment - I was at Nissan site anyway - And no I had no time to read it - hope it helps - let me know.

Attached Files:

3. kev2

kev2 wrench

more helpful stuff - I hope :)

Attached Files:

4. stevem

stevem Jr. Member

thanks kev2 for the pdf!
    I don't recall right now, but it seems to me the door jam showed around 5300 lbs.
    I'll most likely need to subtract from that number, mine and my wife's weight and anything else I have loaded in the truck and trailer.
    Steve

5. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

As I read that second one posted by kev2, your max weight for the truck and trailer combined is 11,135#. I'm thinking that allows for about 7000# for the trailer alone; figuring you won't have the truck bed loaded to full max with sand or such. Note that they specify trailer brakes are required long before that max weight is reached!

6. jd

jd Hero Member

Recommended max is around 6000 for the V6, and I think it's V6 with automatic transmission. 4x4 actually deducts, because it means the truck is heavier than a 2WD.

And that's with nobody but you and a bag lunch in the truck. Bear in mind the truck may weigh more than you think it does, so you should load your truck the way it'll be towing the trailer, people and all, then go weigh it loaded that way. That gives you the number to subtract from that 11,000 - something.

These ratings are highly optimistic. We had a V6 Ford Explorer with the "Big Tow" package, rated to tow about 7000. We towed a "hybrid" trailer that weight around 3500. Then, loading the trailer, loading the truck, we were more like towing/carrying around 5000. We would not have wanted to tow much more.

Also matters where you will be operating. In Florida, we can go max on towing because the land is pretty much flat. Mountain towing would be an entirely different matter.

7. NickD

NickD wrench

Unbelievable to me the huge overstock of camping trailers are RV dealers have around here, Wisconsin, seems like they keep on manufacturing them, but nobody is buying them, talking about hundreds if not thousands. Does your Nissan have the trailer package? Heavier suspension, brakes, cooling system, electrical, etc, definitely a transmission cooler, and a trailer connector.

Most have electric brakes, need a module for this, most are automatic with a manual override. Also an equalizing hitch. Trailer should have leveling jacks of some sort. Some place on the trailer should be a label telling both empty and gross weights.

I hauled a 16 footer towed behind a 76 Olds that Trailer Life said was the best towing vehicle to Northern, MN. Ha, said never again on a two lane 10 foot road. Whenever a oncoming semi came along, that thing was weaving all over the place, was a nervous wreck. Neighbor purchased a 20 footer to tow behind his F350, nobody told him he was suppose to blow out all of his water lines, that cost him.

Back then, state parks were charging a buck for camping, two if you want electricity, today, more like 30-40 bucks per night. Private parks are about the same. Another little problem is where do you park this thing? Will be sitting a lot more than being used. Sure have enough openings in these things, all will have to be screened, or the mice will have a field day as will wasps. Just some things to think about.

8. LynnM

LynnM Sr. Member

Insurance is another thing to think about !