Tire Monitoring System 08 Saturn Vue

infj23

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Saturn
MODEL: Vue
YEAR: 2008
MILES: 189,000
ENGINE: 3.5
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... The Tire Pressure Monitoring telltale light flashes for about a minute on startup and then stays on. Per the manual, this indicates a fault in the system. My guess is a sensor in one of the wheels died. Any way to tell which wheel(s) has/have the problem?
I checked my alldata subscription but cannot find anywhere that tells me how to identify the fault.
Thanks for any help!
Doc

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Sadly, this is an issue you can only resolve with a TPMS activation tool. If in fact one of the sensors died as you say, it will still need to be programmed into the TPMS system and on this type car, That will have to be done through the OBD2 connector.

I come upon very often in my work, I have two kits to work with. Both have a wake up magnet which often resolves this issue.

If one of your TPMS sensor has actually failed, it's probably going cost a few bucks. Plus the programming.

If you want, just make sure all tire pressure is good manually. Then don't worry about it. But if you really want that light to go out, then make sure your local shop has one of these tools available. I use a Autel TPMS reprogramming tool, it is the one I like most. But sometimes, I have to pull out the other tool which is the ATEQ TPMS tool.

So, since I know I can't help you further, check out these two links, if the garage you are going to does not have this type of tool. Good luck with that TPMS problem.

This is a link to the ATEQ

https://www.google.ca/search?q=TPMS...AUICygC&biw=1150&bih=628#imgrc=UzEtcrtqyd4N9M:

Here is a link for the Autel.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=aute...AUIDCgD&biw=1150&bih=628#imgrc=-4nh8vz6wjsluM:

(Just Kidding) Wait about a week, then walk around your car, sniffing each sensor. The dead one will be stinky. During colder weather, wait two weeks. (Just Kidding)

jd

It's likely the built-in batteries in one or more of the senders. I set ours off by rotating tires. Similar age vehicle, 2009 Nissan. Spare didn't have a sensor, so system got upset at not seeing Four Tires Rolling. Put the tire with the sensor back in place, Light still On. Discount Tire warned me that Programming can run marginal batteries dead. They ran the scanner on my TPMS and sure enough, system went into error. My fix? Black Vinyl Electrical Tape over that indicator in the instrument panel.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My fix? Black Vinyl Electrical Tape over that indicator in the instrument panel.
That is a great fix, or a sniffing dog also.

I hate these systems, but they do create work for me. But if I had one on my car, or a family car, all I need is a good old tire gauge and if needed, my old cigarette lighter compressor and I am on my way. My fix would be to actually take out the cluster and cut the tpms light wire, but that also is a problem with newer cars that have ciruit monitor controls, so yeah, black tape is fine.

But the other day before going on holiday vacation, ran into a snag with a more modern car than this one. TPMS system deactivated the trac and abs because it logged in an error code. On that type car, the tpms system does not need to use a special activation tool. It relies on tire rotation to establish if pressure is proper.

Client asked me why then did the abs and trac light come on. I just told him it is a safety measure. Since the car cannot proper establish which of the wheels is slipping due to it thinking it has a low air pressure, it just deactivates the safety features as a whole, until unless you actually stop, manually check air pressure and then proceed to drive the car until it resets.

Thia was an audi q7 with the "M" car nav and all that bogus junk that I WOULD NEVER PAY FOR UNLESS I REALLY LIKE wasting my time at a garage.

But hey, the industry is going in this direction. No way around it.