SVC 4WD LIGHT 2011 RAM 1500

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: RAM
MODEL: 1500 LARAMIE
YEAR: 2011
MILES: 125,000
ENGINE:5.7 HEMI
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I am getting an intermittent svc 4wd light. It seems like it comes on when it is started up for the first time when it is very cold outside, but not always. I can let it run for 10-15 minutes and if the light is on when I go out to leave, I can shut it off and restart it and light will be off. I cannot use 4wd when the light is on. There seems to be no other issues when the light is on, everything works but 4wd. I took it in to local dodge dealer and all they did was clear the code since it was not on when I brought it in. It has come back on since. Do not remember the code number but it had to do with the electric shift control or module, can't remember exactly. They will not look at it unless the light is on when I bring it in.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I hope you can call them back and look at your vehicle history. Any reputable shop should record the code at least. I think they were idiots for not at least writing down the code on your invoice. You did after all pay for a useless scan of your truck and they shrugged it off.

If and when the code comes back, if a code c2201 is present, a reflash of the drive train control module/FDCM is needed. Jeeps had same issue with the final drive control module and same applied there also. Just a reflash of said module. You could at least call them to see if your truck has had the latest software flashed into the DTCM.

At this juncture, I cannot help you further with out you getting that code when the service 4wd light comes on. If and when you do get that code, I will provide all wiring and trouble shoot charts imaginable to fix this yourself.

So, I say, until then. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If the light is not on and they won't look at it unless light is on, then how or why the heck did they pull a code, not even look at the circuit and just clear it. Idiots I tell you. Just too lazy to look at a problem that is intermittent.

You never just erase a code and tell a client to be on their way. That is bad practice for any reputable shop.
I took it in to local dodge dealer and all they did was clear the code since it was not on when I brought it in. It has come back on since. Do not remember the code number but it had to do with the electric shift control or module, can't remember exactly. They will not look at it unless the light is on when I bring it in.

Last edited:

bp042665

hunting nut
sorry didnt see this but the motor can be sticking on the start up test and thats why it comes and goes i engage my 4WD motor on my truck atleast 2 times a month to keep the motor moving so it dont build up corrotion on the brushes

It's still doing it randomly. I need to go by one of the parts stores and have them get me the code so I can try and figure out what the problem is. Just don't think about it when I'm out and about.