Subaru Forester Dim Headlights

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by jd, Feb 13, 2017.

1. jd

jd Hero Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Subaru
    MODEL:Forester S
    YEAR:2002
    MILES:175000 miles
    ENGINE:2.5 Boxer Four
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Dim Headlights! Driver Side dimmer than Passenger Side. The High Beam Indicator in the instrument cluster lights, dimly, on Low Beam. It becomes bright like it should on High Beam. We just checked and the Daytime Running Light feature does work. And when it's running with DRL on as it should be, and we turn Headights ON, they DO get brighter. So I know it isn't stuck in DRL mode. Just dim... I'd suspect a bad ground, especially with the glowing indicator.
    Ideas? What Color is the Headlight Ground Wire, and Where does it ground to the vehicle?

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Here you go. This following pdf should answer your question.

Attached Files:

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Here is a snapshot of ground locations, focus on starter ground first, most likely to be suspect. Then proceed to ground point #2.

That ground usually provides current for right and left.

So check that out, post back if you still haven't figured it out. I will provide more details.
    Screenshot (51).png

4. jd

jd Hero Member

:fixed:WOW!!! I'd have to print all that out and try to trace to ground. But, thank goodness it's :fixed:!! The radical step we took was stop by the auto parts while on an errand run, and get a New Bulb. I cleaned the contacts and tried to spring them a little tighter. Packed with grease (Vaseline), but I wonder if there wasn't also a defect in the bulb.