Service brake system light on????

Ok here's a tricky one maybe I bought a 2003 5.3 v8 extended cab with 162032 it was great at first than all the sudden my service brake system appears and won't go away I checked fluid and it is fine the brakes are real soft what should I do BTW no abs fuse in it

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'll answer here, rather than your other posting that you tacked-on to an old thread.

Is yours also a Chevy truck of some kind?

You say no ABS fuse, but can I assume it does have ABS?

Have you had it scanned for codes, especially ABS codes? Yes, even if no lights are on.

Soft brakes usually mean air in the system, but bleeding them with ABS is not always a simple procedure. We sure need to find out why that fuse is out, and what (if anything) changes when the fuse is replaced.

grcauto

Won't do any good trying to get codes with no fuse. I will wager the ABS module is bad and that's why they took the fuse out. May be an expensive repair. Maybe drive it until the wheels fall off.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The OP says the brakes are "real soft", I don't think driving it as-is should be an option.

Website
www.facebook.com
Have the brakes been soft since you bought it or did they go soft when the light came on?
If since you bought it they might have tried to replace ABS or Master cylinder and cannot get it to bleed so pulled fuse