poor running mower

Discussion in 'Small Engines' started by ssergel, Feb 23, 2015.

1. ssergel

ssergel Full Member

I have a mtd mower with a briggs & Stratton 500 series engine, it starts right up every time but after a few minutes it starts to run like its bogged down, even if it is running on the driveway. I have cleaned carb many times, even with seafoam as you would on your car intake and it still runs the same. Gas is good I regularly add stabilizer to the gas, plug and air filter are good. Any Ideas. Thanks

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Is it mis-firing, or just poor on power? A few common possibilities with B&S engines: float needle leaking and flooding carb, filter screen inside tank clogged and starving carb of fuel, tank filler-cap vent plugged and starving carb of fuel, valve-to-lifter clearance has gone a way and holding a valve open. Is this a flat-head engine or OHV? Have you taken compression right after it has warmed up and gotten lazy?

EricC likes this.
  3. EricC

EricC Hero Member

Shop Foreman, County Garage
    Home Page:
    Billr covered it pretty well, but I would add, checking for rotten fuel line that may allow to suck air.

4. NickD

NickD wrench

Sounds perfectly normal if you are using E10. Just a handful of brand new engines claim you can use E10.

5. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I usually never post in small engine threads, I would like however to know what year it is. I am seeing two different carbs for the Mtd 500 series. Maybe I am mistaken.

Anyways, as Bill said, maybe an overhaul of the carburetor/fuel system is needed here. A four stroke like this should not vamp down unless it is a fuel issue. Post back year and maybe model number. Is it a 3.5hp or 4hp?

@Bill, think it is a OHV. Op will confirm.

6. billr

It is the flat-heads where I often find the valve clearance "going away", that's why that info is important.

7. ssergel

ssergel Full Member

Here is the model #10t502
    type-0457b1
    code-09052255
    Thanks

8. ssergel

ssergel Full Member

9. billr

That model # (10t502) comes up as a flat-head for me. However, if valve clearance is bad, I would expect that to be worse when cold (won't start). Again, take compression when the engine is warmed-up and getting lazy.

10. ssergel

ssergel Full Member

I remove carb ad soaked it over night and it runs much better now, not completely smooth but it stays running. The rpm's go up and down a bi but it's running much better. I guess his means a carb issue. doesn't look like there's much there to rebuild so do you have a good website for replacement? I tried sears and ereplacemnt parts.com with no luck.

Thanks for the help.

11. billr

I have never replaced carb parts on a small engine, just blowing them out with air and getting the gaskets "wet" again with fuel does the trick. If there is any crusty crud or varnish on things, I scrape that off with a wood stick or fine wire brush. I think the biggest problem is that the float-bowl goes dry, then the gasket on top dries out and the little-bitty air-bleed passages up there leak enough to throw fuel metering out of calibration. Run it for a while more, it may self-heal as the gasket swells.

12. billr

I have never replaced carb parts on a small engine, just blowing them out with air and getting the gaskets "wet" again with fuel does the trick. If there is any crusty crud or varnish on things, I scrape that off with a wood stick or fine wire brush. I think the biggest problem is that the float-bowl goes dry, then the gasket on top dries out and the little-bitty air-bleed passages up there leak enough to throw fuel metering out of calibration. Run it for a while more, it may self-heal as the gasket swells.

13. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech

Posted twice, maybe hit enter twice, but very good advice. as for link, try this one.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=10T502-0457-B1&dn=37180004

14. ssergel

ssergel Full Member

Will do, Thanks for the help.

15. ssergel

ssergel Full Member