Oil change interval indicator algorithm

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by JP, Jul 17, 2017.

1. JP

JP Hero Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Chevy
    MODEL: Equinox
    YEAR: 2015
    MILES: 8200
    ENGINE: 3.6l
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....

Just wondering if anyone knows what goes into the algorithm for the oil change indicator. Obviously, the mileage. What else is considered when it tells you how much engine oil life is left?

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Things like engine rpm, load (MAP), run hours, ECT, number of cold starts.

My pet peeve is that my son got talked into using full-synthetic by the dealer, with assurance that interval can be extended. Yet the "service oil" comes on after the much-shorter OEM interval, and the dealer says they can't reprogram that, but "don't worry about it for the warranty". I'm hoping he never has to test that assurance...

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Not my writing, but I think this sums it up, pretty much what Billr said. Same should apply to most makes and models using this system.

How the Chrysler Oil Change Indicator works and what to expect
    The Chrysler Oil Change Indicator system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine, the engine size, and engine revolutions, to determine when the oil needs changing. That said, the computer does not strictly track mileage or the condition of the oil, but certain driving habits that can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperature will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance.

4. kev2

kev2 wrench

I am really concerned with the hype generated over synthetic long life oils, the new marketing of once a year regardless of mileage....
    that has me shaking my head especially as we consider VCT -
    I posted about inlaws falling for the synthetic once a year in a KIA 2.4 - the owners manual sees it different and that should be the guide.
    5k miles seams reasonable to me..... JP do not forget that DEXOS requirement...

I envision techboy arguing with Gunther that his Porsche should be covered as he used once a year miracle oil instead of following the manual, how do you think that will end.

If you really want the info on change monitor I can try and dig it up - I think it sets a revolution counter, subtracts for revolutions, more for extereme temps , starts, loads, WOT, events ie codes,

5. JP

JP Hero Member

Prior to this vehicle, I've had good luck with 5K oil changes using conventional oil. With this one, I'm planning on 10K with full synthetic. I do not drive stop and go and really baby my cars. The "it's time for an oil change" indicator is annoying as hell, though.

6. kev2

kev2 wrench

this is the dilemma I speak of -
    The system is self monitoring does NOT care synthetic, conventional, quality of oil it just counts down.
    The oil life monitor will set on the "change oil light", record- mileage, light on date, notify OnStar* and clock mileage until the change.

I do not want someone between the oil companies and manufacturer (dealer), Mobil one et al will pull a Houdini the dealer armed with the fine print in owners manual the glairing CHANGE oil light, data stored in PCM and quoting conventional practice - who will likely loose?

* I suspect onstar even if OFF will communicate with GM - information aka data mining why would they pass on that.

7. NickD

NickD wrench

Attitude sure changed when synthetics first came out, why should you use this stuff when the real stuff is sure cheaper? But the price sure came down and with extended oil changes, its cheaper. 48 year old air compressor used the real stuff, was also cleaning the oil filter with that thing, with synthetics, never have to clean it.

If you read the small print on this 15,000 or one year stuff, still have to follow your manufacturers recommendations for oil changes if you want to maintain your PT warranty. With my Cruze, the way I drive, could go up to 10K without an oil change, but stuck with 20% oil remaining. Guys that didn't follow this with a turbo, had turbo failures. Likes of Chrysler or Hyundai, doesn't make any difference what you use, 7,500 miles is still maximum.

Also using this stuff in my small engines not getting that carbon buildup like before.

Guys always argue which brand is best, SAE determines this, has to meet their specifications, best grade today is SN. GM came up with this dexos name, didn't have anything to do with this. Strictly the SAE, GM dealers around here want 40 bucks more to use dexos, when you can buy it for only a couple of bucks more, ha, screw you, will change it myself.

Do have a website for approved dexos, practically any oil brand is listed, but to the best of my knowledge, only Mobile One is paying an extra royalty fee to add the dexos label to their bottles.

Bottle line is if you want your PT warranty to be honored, have to follow the owners manual recommendations. If you change it yourself, have to keep records, back these up with dated photos. If you pay to have it changed, $$$$, better hang on to your receipts. Personally, I had problems having my dealer change oil, can't even do this right, two much, not enough, use an impact wrench for the drain plug, even caught them not replacing the oil filter, hidden in that can, but was sure on the invoice.

Have to say synthetics are much better, do not absorb moisture causing sludge, have a much higher operating temperature before breaking down, and less acid buildup.

8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Wow, really. I quit a job for something like that. Boss wanted this car out of the bay so fast and we didn't have the filter in stock. He said screw it and just charge it, the client will never know since it is a "cartouche".

I said no, he said find another job. I said see ya. Toolbox went into my truck in a new york minute.

oddone1975 likes this.
  9. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Last week, had an old honda civic SI in my bay. Plug was seeping. Went to put a 17mm wrench to it to see it it was tight. ha went right past and said oh, that is stripped. When I removed it, there was gasket maker all over the threads. I told the client, whoever did that last oil change, plz don't ever go back there again. They knew full well they had a stripped oil pan plug hole and just decided that putting some silicone gasket maker there would seal the deal.

So I installed a helicoil and that was that. Probably have a client for life now.

I hate knocking on other shops, but when you see shoddy work for such a simple thing like that, it makes me irate and I have no qualms saying to a client to avoid such shops.

oddone1975 likes this.