Me and my damned projects. LCD tv repair.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickb2, Jul 25, 2016.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Hello guy's.

Well, this time, I picked up a 40inch toshiba LCD tv.

Not a scratch on it it. In pristine condition. Thing is, has sound, powers up, but no picture. Not even a menu screen.

I have been waiting for a long time to find a broken tv like this for free. I even bought a entertainment center and it has been taking up space cuz I am to stingy to buy a brand new tv, they bust 2 months after the warranty is over anyway.

The tv I have presently is a RCA HDTV projection deal. That thing is a beast and takes up way to much space and weighs almost as much as my fridge. I fixed that one with a few caps on the power supply and has been running strong for the past 6 years. That TV cost me 40$ knowing full well it would shut down sporadically.

So I swapped a few caps and 6 or 7 yrs later still good. But I wanted HDMI, optical surround sound and PC hook up and USB and all that.

So I found this toshiba. Has all I wanted. I don't really care for the newer smart tv's. More gadgets than I can handle.

Anyways, to get to the meat of the problem. I tried a factory reset procedure, didn't work, ok, I knew that, but tried it anyway as a first step to trouble shoot.

Checked the power supply, all good. The main board is getting power as per the sound still active. Voltages are all present. Grounds good and stand-by signal ok.

Then on to the back-light invertor. 24v main rails present on all 4 pins for the four transformers of the BL PCB. 5v present for the BL on pin and all 4 grounds good.

Lo and behold, I find this. See pictures I took with my old flip cell phone.:p:eek:

SSPX0505.jpg SSPX0506.jpg

So I go online, and find this video. I was trying to find a replacement BL invertor board. E-bay has a bunch listed, all of them are sold. Went to a few sites that list the board, sold out. This got me thinking. Major product failure.

Watch this video. Fast forward to 2min 18sec mark. Notice something similar?? Same bat channel, same bat place.

So I start investigating this afternoon the innards of this "toshiba". Almost everything in it is stamped "samsung".

http://electropartsonline.com/lj97-02098b.html Out of stock!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-40E200U1-Backlight-Inverter-Board-/272133244650?_ul=BO Vendido!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-BAC...40FT1U-40E200U1-40E200U2-/172177072063?_ul=AR Finalizo!!

Jobber parts available here. http://www.buyqual.com/inv40n14b-ss...-2fsamsung-lj97-02098bbacklight-inverter.html

http://www.shopjimmy.com/toshiba-rca-samsung-lj97-02098b-backlight-inverter.htm Out of stock!!

They reroute me to a link here.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-lj97-02098b-backlight-inverter-component-repair-kit.htm

Like I am going to replace those 14 transistors, the IC and the two fuses on a most likely fried PCB board. 14.99$ plus same shipping charges when I can get a new or known good used one.

Samsung is one shifty company.

Their crap is in everything. Designed to fail at the same bat place, same bat channel.

If anybody here finds a BL invertor board for this series of horse shyte made electronics, plz let me know. I am coming up emtpy everywhere I go. And no way in hell I am going to fuss with that component repair kit!!

Thx in advance for any help, if any is to be had.

PPl are throwing these perfectly working LCD's out for a few 2cent ic chips pre designed to fail.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So, I just checked the F101 and F102 fuses, yup, open.

I am getting older, my eyesight isn't what it used to be, and my soldering iron has a blunt point for such a tiny space to even try to attempt the repair kit.

These cheap ass companies just want to pollute land fills with inferior products and sell more cheap ass crap.

I took my magnifying glass out to read, 125v 7amp rated fuse. But it's the size of a gnats ass. My thumbs are the size of my big toes.

I guess that is why ppl that work on home electronics always have clean hands and no calluses.

Yet, I will fix this one way or another.

I know I have found the problem, what pisses me off, is that the shady companie knew about it for over a decade and didn't give a rats arse. That is just plain insulting.

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Is there any P/N on the burned chip(s)?

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    My GF serves as my magnifying glass, she has glasses like coke bottle bottoms.

I think I see, Haha, nothing.

I think the IC got hot enough all traces of ink just banished.

Here is a picture of the IC. I zoomed in the best I could. I just see dull black and that's it.

SSPX0507.jpg

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I really can't do any better than this. Even if the pics are crappy, there is absolutley no writing to be found on that IC.

I also uploaded a pic of the two blown/open surface mount fuses. Also an other angle of the IC chip.

SSPX0508.jpg SSPX0509.jpg SSPX0510.jpg

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    All 14 transistors have identical numbering. Very visible, but to small for me to read without some serious magnifying. But the writing is crystal clear, not like the IC.

On another angle, I was able to make out "SEM2107 (maybe 2109)" under that 1003.

My un educated guess, SEM stands for silicone embedded microchip? IDK. But if I have to solder in one of those, 14 transistors and 2 fuses and a brand new soldering station setup.

This IC obvioulsy got real hot.

7. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

That is a (Samsung) SEM2107, equivalent to an SEM2006 is what I am finding. Those are about $2 in small quantity, if you want to try replacing it. Those boards are so cheap, though, that I think it is hardly worth the effort; and no telling what else got damaged...

8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Yeah, I know Bill. I spent all morning on the phone trying to find a board. Non are available. NO ONE HAS THEM IN STOCK.

They all fail at that precise location.

I de-soldered the fuses. That was easy enough.

Readily available

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Litte...417018a&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=182136759511

The IC also. I did my research also. Thanx for the research. If you say the 2006 is equivalent, I totally believe, as I am now tired from all the eye bulging I had to do to read those numbers and my ear hurts from jabbering on the phone with ppl with foreign accents trying to locate a 20 - 50$ invertor board that the whole planet seems to need. Cannot be found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-SEM2I0...305862?hash=item5b2694bd06:g:uOoAAOSwjXRXaRC3

I talked to the guy from Shop Jimmy this morning who says he has substitute boards for sale, even those are out of stock. Good thing I have a unlimited north american call plan. I called from Texas all the way up to where I live up north and across to British Columbia.

4 or five cross Atlantic internet searches and put myself on the "out of stock" waiting list e-mail back thing option for all of them.

One arsehole told me toshiba went out of buisness, who cares! Samsung makes this boards for dozens of makes and models. That guy took me for a fool.

Samsung LJ97-02098A is the MFR #

Serial number is INV40N14B

Board # is SSI-400-14AO1

All these numbers match RCA, Samsung and Toshiba models. A dozen or so.

TV Models:
    Digimate

LTV-4065WH
    Toshiba
    40RV52RZ
    40RV525RZ
    40LV665D
    40G300U1
    40E200U1
    Rca
    L40FHD41YX9
    40LA45RQ
    Proscan
    40LC45S
    Dynex
    DX-L40-10A
    DX-40L150A11
    Westinghouse
    VR-4085DF TW-61901-S040C

9. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So are all these tv's just prematurely extinguishing themselves and the manufacturer won't make anymore known failure ridden parts to force the general public to buy a new tv every two years?

That strangely resembles highway robbery. It's hideous to think about it.

Actually, the more I do, the more I have always been determined to fix my own shyte. I won't feed that type of a system. I figured that one out when I was 16yrs old.

10. kev2

kev2 wrench

Wish you two were here - a really bad electrical storm* the other day and 3 flatscreens were at the dumpster next day - and 1 more Monday - I'm sure you would have enjoyed.

*brown outs, surges, flashing that tingling feeling... enough to make the dog piss

11. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Wow, that must have been something to see. I had that happen to one of my dogs back the the day. The thunder claps so loud she pissed on the rug.

That sucks, 4 tv's. Yeah, I would have fun with those. Usually the power supply will have a ceramic type fuse protection similar to a microwave fuse. Those are usually the first things to pop when a power surge hits.

If you still have them lying around, pop the back off the sets and check those fuses. They are not surface mounts. Usually that fuse will be located right next to where the A~c cord meets the power supply. It is situated there exactly for that purpose. Storm surges.

I never did figure out why most TV sets only have a two prong plug. I look at my PC monitors and they are all three prong.

I have fixed a few monitors and those didn't have a fuse as I describe above.

I have often heard of sets popping after a surge. Never happened to me yet. It probably will one day. My stuff is on all the time. Unless the power lines quit. LOL.

12. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So, I was talking to a guy on a TV repair forum called BAD CAPs. Very resourceful site.

I highly recommend them for those who need advice on such repairs.

So this guy says that if those two micro fuses blew like that, I may have to consider that one of the four invertor transformers may have shorted also.

I will try to google the proper way to verify that claim of his.

They seem brand new but who knows. They are very accessible to test. The board has test spots just for that. However, IDK if they are to check the voltages when the unit is in in play. Or if I have to desolder them from the circuit to properly check them out.

More to come. I am hell bent on fixing this TV. I like the challenge of learning something new everyday.

13. kev2

kev2 wrench

I must tell you I miss the challenges - the man cave work shop/garage a bench and I was a happy, the repaired reclaimed item likely had many hours tinkering BUT the satisfaction was priceless.

14. jus1ofakind

jus1ofakind Newbie

Hi All. I have found the part LJ97-02098A. My tv is a RCA L40FHD41YX9. Nothing in this tv is RCA brand. Power supply board is from Toshiba, Inverter Board is Samsung. Total crap how we try to save a little money by fixing something and find out that the parts that were made by RCA in California, are now being made in China since they bought the RCA Company in California and changed it to TLC tvs. So with that being said, you can buy inverter boards new from Aliexpress, or Alibaba... I personally have gotten capacitors from Aliexpress and all is good if you're not in a hurry for the parts. Does take sometime to cross the pond as some call it lol. I had 4 blown caps on my power supply board, already fixed those myself, and did a flashlight test to make sure screen was working and everything is good except inv board. I did order my inv board from aliexpress and i'm still waiting for it, as it has to go thru customs on both sides of the pond lol. Only good thing about this is the part is new, still dont like waiting but didnt want to pay more for express shipping. I just did regular shipping, but if you can afford it go for the faster shipping. Anyway just wanted to let any and all know the part can be found new on Aliexpress.com...Goodluck everyone and thanks.

15. jus1ofakind

jus1ofakind Newbie

I would also like to add another place to find some tv repair or replacement boards for tvs. Website is alldevicesource.com .... My tv part is LJ97-02098A, however it can also use the same numbers with B,C,E,F at end. Just found this website and prices for most parts i saw were under 20 dollars which is very nice and it is in USA. Whether new or used or rebuilt it's nice to know won't always have to buy from China store. Thanks for reading.