Looking for DT466 info.

Discussion in 'Heavy Truck & Equipment Forum' started by Darren, May 25, 2016.

1. Darren

Darren Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: IH
    MODEL: 4700
    YEAR: 2002
    MILES: 365,000
    ENGINE
    : DT466

I'm looking for a medium duty box truck preferably an IH with a DT466 or a Ford with a Cummins 6BT.

I found an IH. The mileage wasn't listed. When I called, the salesman said it had 365,000. My next question was whether any engine work had been done? The reply was that the engine had been rebuilt. My next question asked whther it was an in frame which the salesman confirmed. The dealer did not do the engine work. The engine was rebuilt around the 255,000 mile mark. I thought that was a bit early.

The dealer has been using the truck for parts delivery. Brakes have been worked as necessary.

Other than checking oil pressure to detect issues, is there anything else I can do diagnostic wise to find issues. What kind of mileage can be expected out of an in frame rebuild?

Any other suggestions to determine condition of the engine?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. kev2

kev2 wrench

I rebuilt many a DT466 , although a while ago I can not remember something that in frame could not accomplish... dah maybe a new block.
    Maybe checking for coolant in oil, the turbo if applicable, with it running cracking an injector open will check if all are 'pulling their weight' ..... it was a basic durable rebuildable design....

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Well, I am new on this thread, I was on vacation for a while. Caught zero fish. I was looking to hook a Maskinonge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maskinongé,_Quebec

Yes, 250 000miles is quite early for a rebuild. But this may be a plus for you if you can get the salesman to tell you if it was a true rebuild.

As Kev2 said, get a injector balance test done, that will tell volumes!!;) I take it from the IH tag it is an international. They are boss and should easily double the mileage you state it has.

Check this site out for your new buy. The base of these engines are practically indestructible. Is it a turbo?, you did not say.

http://thetruckmechanictoolbox.blogspot.ca/2012/11/diesel-fuel-system-problem-diagnosis.html

4. nickb2

northern car tech
    Was it sleeved? If so, why at such early mileage?

5. nickb2

northern car tech
    BTW, I would prefer a dt466 international over a cummins.

6. Darren

Darren Full Member

Thanks for the replies. I purchased a 1994 Ford with a 6BT Cummins instead of one of the Internationals.