Looking for advice, interface protocal J2534

Discussion in 'Automotive Products' started by nickb2, Nov 16, 2016.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Hi guy's

I am looking for an interface that can support protocol J2534 to reprogram or reflash modules and also do keys and theft deterrent systems. This is what is commonly known as a pass through device.

Since I have only worked with GM and Mopar systems, I am not familiar with aftermarket J2534 devices. I am very up to date on the utility and the know how to use them, but now I am at a point where I am needing to buy one.

I was hoping some here have some products to suggest that will also come with past experience and how some may have some + or - to say.

I am looking at an OTC 3829

https://www.otctools.com/products/j2534-reprogramming-tool

Also, drew technologies, CARDAQ +2

http://www.drewtech.com/products/cardaqplus.html

And EASE UR2- J2534

http://obd2.com/J2534/index.html

2. nickb2

northern car tech
    I have seen a few spotty ones on the net, and am not willing to make my boss pay for some hack chinese crap that will have no tech support or such thing.

I am trying to get this northern village into the year 2016, alot of ppl here loose their keys, smash cars and trucks and need new modules. This northern town has no other way of getting to a dealership other than shipping back into the closest civilized town where they have a well equipped enough garage to do so. The only way out of this town is by train or by plane. Can you imagine the hassle??

I have the know how, but lack the interface.

There is also the Launch one that I like also.

I have used a Launch scan tool before, I really liked it versatility and robustness, but it lacked in the user friendly interface and software.

Anyways, if anyone has a good or bad thing to say about any of the above mentioned J2534 interfaces, plz tell me. I want to make an educated guess, as I will be the one working with it.

I mostly need it for ford, gm, and mopar. So the above ones are the ones I am interested in. Up here, only pick ups you will see are the big three, and very rare a toyota tacoma. I think I counted two of those in all.

Again, thx in advance for any feedback, I am looking to make a buy next week. My boss wants my decision on which one I want monday.

I am tending towards the OTC 3829 since I have been using OTC scanners for aftermarket uses for decades now and just think that OTC is a stand up company. But if any one can make a case for another one, I am all ears.

Like I said, I am familiar with the process and can easily adapt to a new product. I just want the best tech support since I am so far up north. I don't have time to hassle with some POS sold on e-bay coming to me via chine or australia etc.

3. nickb2

northern car tech
    Well, since I didn't get any feedback, I thought I would update the thread anyway.

The boss signed off and gave me 'carte blanche'. For the non french initiated, that means I can buy whatever pleases me.

So I will go for the Bosch J2534 interface.

I had contacted OTC personally and one of the representatives called back and said the OTC 3829 had problems with some Dodge vehicles. I said that is a third of the fleet I do. So he suggested I go for the Bosch one instead which does not have that dodge compatibility problem. Anyway, the OTC unit is made by Bosch anyway, but a bit more expensive.

I was really hoping for some feedback on this from some of you guy's, but since I got the ok from the head up, I will try the bosch.

My only ick is that I find it very expensive when I see other low end companies tooting the same protocals and at the same time I am iffy about said low end companies in regards to tech support.

Maybe I should have put this thread in the mechanics lounge.

I still have some questions, the flasher pro kit comes with a power supply with limited A/C ripple and a fancy dandy print out battery checker which I despise, and really have no use for. I have all I need to check a battery with a toaster, a fluke automotive DVM etc.

But I have read that a jumper pack can substitute a 12v power supply while I reflash. Is this true or false, I don't know.

The Bosch interface is close to 2 grand alone, the flasher pro kit comes close to 4 grand. Here is a link.

https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro/products/flasher-pro-bat-55-bat-131-kit

Whilst all I need is this. See other link.

https://www.boschdiagnostics.com/pro/products/mastertech-vci-oem-hardware-kit

4. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Sorry Nick, I simply don't know. You might try sending PM to Gus, Mobile Dan, dabunk, Connie, and Tony.

5. nickb2

northern car tech
    Well, it's a done deal, one J2534 interface on the way. The price of the unit is going to be close to three grand once the shipping fees and air transport is paid for.

Right now, I have four vehicles hung up with immobilizer issues and PCM problems. All these would have to be sent to Sept Iles to the nearest dealerships via shipping train which costs a bundle, and that does not include the dealership fees. Now I can do them in house.

So I am quite happy to get that interface. So, I have a key cutting machine, and a interface to program the theft deterrent modules and relearn transponder keys. Also, I read that I can also do some TPMS modules for certain manufacturers and will have added bi-directional functions for added diagnostic capabilities which the snap-on solus pro does not have.

So here is me tooting my own horn. The guy's at work already find me very cool with a laptop and a scanner and a good DVM. Alot of these guy's have never seen the inside of a tech class and most don't even have a certification. So for them, it is a learning possibility which I am happy to pass on. I think it important to pass on skills. There is no one to come teach night courses or any such thing up here. They are left to thier own and keeping up with latest trends in this industry is near impossible without some form of education and ongoing training.

I am lucky, I have the skills to do my own on going job training and also lucky I am auto didactic. I over teach myself but do not moralize about others not doing so. I enjoy learning something new every day.

Ok, nuff said.

Over and out.

6. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Nick: I'm proud of you. You are a real asset to that area and more importantly you are enjoying it.