Honda brake pad R&R

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by billr, Aug 5, 2017.

1. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Honda
    MODEL: Accord
    YEAR: 2002
    MILES: UNK
    ENGINE: I-4
    DESCRIBE ISSUE.... With disks in the rear, what is the procedure to retract the piston so new pads will fit in?

2. jd

jd Hero Member

I used one of these on a 2006 Accord rear disc brakes recently. This pic is from Amazon. I got a cheap one at HF[​IMG]
    The square hole is for your socket drive. You pick the set of "bumps" that engage the indents in the piston, then socket drive in the opposite side, turn right to retract the parking brake adjust feature.

I say this trusting you've already pushed the caliper piston back into its bore with something like this [​IMG]

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Thanks, it's all done. It was more entertaining than I thought. I was tasked with teaching my son and his fiance how to do the job, they did both front and rear.

4. jd

jd Hero Member

I've done only a few Honda brakes, and was pleased how easy they were. Training the kids is always fun. Like "Be Sure the Oil Filter Gasket Doesn't Stay Stuck to the Engine" only to find oil blown all over the place. That's when I get to say "Just Because I Make it Look Easy, Doesn't Mean it IS."