Hard start/ Help with Auto Enginuity

GM Guy

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chevy
MODEL:Monte Carlo
YEAR:2004
MILES:148k
ENGINE:3400
DESCRIBE ISSUE....First, forget the Auto Enginuity question, I'll ask that later.
I've got a rough idle when hot in gear and it has died a time or two. When restarted (lots of crank, sometimes multiple tries) it acts flooded (smell gas). This happens after engine is hot and has sat a little while ( hot soak). Tonight I checked fuel pressure ( factory pump still), it's between 48-55 PSI, no bleed off. Over the weekend it threw a P0300, random misfire code when the wife was driving it. I cleared it and it hasn't reset. It still has factory plugs/wires on it. I took it for a drive and accelerated hard to try to starve it for fuel or stress the ignition (look for a miss under load) and the old girl pulls hard and never stumbles. I'm leaning toward plug/wire replacement, but I don't want to just throw parts at it. Any of you professional wrenches have some wisdom for me?

Last edited:
Dirty MAF sensor if it has one?

Dirty throttle body?

EGR stuck partially open sometimes? Usually on these engines, plugged EGR passages are a problem, but that won't cause your symptoms.

If plugs and wires have never been changed, you are overdue. Might be your only problem.

GM Guy

Is the fuel pressure in the good range? I googled it but don't trust everything on Google. Like I Do trust this site.

Last edited:
Fuel System - Gasoline Pressures 3.8LFWD
Fuel Pump Pressure Minimum
59 psi
Key ON Engine OFF (KOEO) 53-59
RPM 43-56 @ Idle rpm
Fuel System - Gasoline Pressures 3.4L -----------------------------------
Fuel Pump Pressure Minimum
59.0 psi --------------------------------------
Key ON Engine OFF (KOEO) 52-59-----------------------------------------
RPM 42-56 @ Idle rpm
Fuel System - Injector Resistance 3.8L
Injector Primary Resistance
11-14 @ 68°F ohms
Fuel System - Injector Resistance 3.4L
Injector Primary Resistance
11-14 @ 50-95°F ohms

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Any of you professional wrenches have some wisdom for me?
If you can pull codes, you know what OBD2 means, do you have live data. Cuz I would sure like to know the ECT readings.

As for auto enginuity, I am always up for those kinds os discussions. It's kind of a hobby of mine when I am not drinking beer or working.

;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
It still has factory plugs/wires on it. I took it for a drive and accelerated hard to try to starve it for fuel or stress the ignition (look for a miss under load) and the old girl pulls hard and never stumbles.
OEM is good, so if you want to put new stuff in "the old girl" I suggest you don't cheap out.

Every secondary ignition system like this is boss, but has a limitation.

BTW, holy cow, called a taxi for my gal to go to work this morning, taxi got stuck in a snow bank high as my knees. I said, WTF, do you need glasses?

What a storm. Quebec is getting hit hard, but I sure am happy I am not in nova scotia right now. Needless to say, only way out of that one, shovels, a bit of elbow grease and on your way. When shyt hits the fans, ppl need to stick together.