Ford F150 stop lamp and turn signal problem

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by nickb2, May 1, 2017.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:ford
    MODEL:f150 4x4
    YEAR:2012
    MILES:???
    ENGINE:5.0l
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....
    Have police truck in my bay, wiring is a mess all around. Basically, this Naskapi police truck should be retired. They use it as a spare and the cop's use it to go to gym and stuff.

Anyway, redid all wiring for back of truck, had no lights at all. Trailer plug was also sheared off and wires hanging. Some were live and sparked here and there and obviously a few fuses blown.

Problem is, after redoing all the wiring, I do not have right rear turn and stop lights. Have parking, back up and strobes work also. I back probed the vt/or wire back to the BCM, no voltage.

I am leaning towards a BCM. As I see in the wiring, the BCM controls the turn/stop lights and the fuse is not blown and has power. The schematic shows a FET transistor after the micro processor. Wondering if loose wires from the trailer harness that is sheared off could have blown that micro processor or the FET?

This truck is an electrical nightmare. The tranny has been changed, the engine also. The person that did the work on this car is an obvious idiot. All connectors that I encounter have either been cut and butt connected or just plain twisted and taped. No solder, no heat shrink and overall mess. The new cop is a white guy and swears he will no longer do business with the Naskapi montagnais garage. I understand his delima, he works for the tribe, but they just plain do shoddy work.

Anyway, anybody ever tried to open one of these BCM's and tried to fix this sort of issue, or just replace and reprogram the BCM.

Any advice would be nice. I will try to upload some diagrams, but internet seems slow and BAT auto has problems today posting my uploads. Well, seems to have worked, pay attention to third snapshot. Notice F13 fuse and micro controller and FET.

I was thinking of cheating and taking power from right front turn signal and bypassing it to vt/or wire, and taking stop light power from left rear or CHMSL(center high mounted stop lamp) to vt/or wire but wondering how that would work when right turn signal is on and braking at same time. Would I have a conflict there since each circuit seems to be transistor driven. Would this bias the rest of the micro controller that seems to be working for all other functions except RR turn and stop? Any advice would be nice, my brain is in a fog on this one. Screenshot (85).png

Screenshot (83).png Screenshot (84).png

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Open the BCM and look for that F13. It probably blew and protected the FET, and can be changed.

3. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Yeah, well that's the thing Bill. The BCM is also the passenger fuse/relay junction block. The 15amp 'F13' fuse is good and has power. The connector C2280D houses the vt/or wire that I back probed and found to be good continuity wise. So all that I am left with is the assumption that the 'FET' blew, which I assume is internal to the BCM/fuse block.

See snapshots below. Screenshot (86).png Screenshot (87).png

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So, if we assume my pin testing was correct, vt/or wire of C2280D, as seen in third snapshot of original post has continuity from BCM/fuse block to right rear tail and turn sockets. The ground is good as parking lamp circuit lights up on both sockets and share same ground as the stop/turn circuit as seen in third snapshot of first post.

So, I am led to believe the BCM/fuse block is internally faulty either in the micro controller or the infamous 'FET' blew, which is also apparently internal.

So, now my next step is that tomorrow, I will interrogate the BCM to see if it has stored a code. Something I did not do as I did not know the BCM was in fact the fuse block itself. So after doing some research, I may find a U code such as U3000:49 control module electronic failure.

See logic snapshots below. Went to pinpoint test 'M' (one turn signal lamp is inoperative). Wow, these fords are sure getting funky.

Now just to know if the BCM went into protective mode like with a bad power supply in a TV or amplifier if I see a U1000:00 code, or to see if the internal driver is fried and I really need a NEW BCM. If so, I will try my thoughts on trying to bypass as written above.

As we can see here, simple things such as trouble shooting a inoperative turn signal/brake light have become quite the hassle and many a DIYer can get a bit clued out quick enough.

So, see snapshots below and give advice if bypassing is still an option seeing the self test that the BCM goes through. Will my bypass work with such a setup of checking it's internal drivers. I am most sure it will code. I will post back tomorrow once I scan the BCM for communication codes. Screenshot (88).png Screenshot (90).png

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    So, As seen in the symptom related chart, I have eliminated the fuse, wiring, socket and bulb and the LED's in the external mirror on the right side. All work flawless.

Of note, TT (trailer tow) right turn and stop relay is also not being energized. #38 of battery junction box. Screenshot (91).png Screenshot (92).png

6. billr

Yeah, see if you can get codes.

It looks like it will be a pain to get into that BCM, but might be worthwhile if all else fails. A FET that is fused with 15A is likely to be a discreet device, and big enough to R&R even if it is SMD. You should be able to find it as it (or its solder pad) will have a direct connection to the specific pin on the BCM connector. Who knows, maybe you will get *lucky* and find it obviously toasted?

I'm struggling a bit, and may not be able to participate well, as the stuff you post is barely legible. I can't enlarge it enough to reliably read. Using Win8, "ctrl +" enlarges all our batauto text, but not the screen-shots.

7. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Bill: For enlarging above images. Right click on his image and select Copy image. Now open MS Paint app and paste it there. Now make it any size you want.

8. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Hmm, that's funny. There is a pop up window that appears when I hover my mouse over snapshots on this site. It is written 'click this image to show the full size version'

I thought everybody had this option. That is why I post in this fashion. I thought it was easier for ppl to just click the image rather than posting with attachments that need to be download to be viewed.

Anyway, I am off to work so I will hook up my laptop as soon as I get a chance. The pick-up is in the lot, so I won't have to drag it back into my bay. Will post back after shift. I sure hope I can get to that BCM and try to fix it. Getting a used or new BCM will be a hassle. Probably take a week or so to get one shipped up here. At least the truck has some brake lights. It is after all a patrol truck. Wouldn't do for a cop car to be giving out tickets for burnt out lights when he has some of his own. LOL.;)

9. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    On a funny note, I have another cop truck that has a funny problem. The sirrius navigation radio is frozen. It will not take any commands on the touch screen, manual radio and volume knobs are unresponsive also. Once in a while, the radio will go full blast volume for no reason and you can't turn down the volume. The cop was laughing stating when he wants to creep up on a suspect, he isn't much of a surprise anymore when the radio decides to go full volume on him.

Ok, have a good day all. Back with more news tonight.

10. billr

The "click on image" pop-down tool works for me. I hadn't payed attention to it in the past because it flits by so fast; it was just an annoyance that I tried to ignore. Like the "charms" in Win8 that fly in from the RH side of the screen frequently for no apparent reason, but I have to struggle to get them when I want to use one!

PS: It took me a few moments to figure out how to "reduce" the image... no pop-up prompt for that

11. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Well, on lunch break. First thing I did when I got to work was to get BCM codes. Sure enough, U1000 code was present.

I erased the code and lo and behold, flasher and stop light started working again.

So, the logic here is that the BCM saw it was in a shorted out mode on that right rear circuit vt/or wire. Went into protection mode. Once I erased the code, it self-ed checked and saw it was no longer shorted since I had done the proper repair and allowed current to flow.

That's what I like about this trade, something new every day. So for those that do some trouble shooting once in a while, invest in a good scanner that can read/clear body and chassis codes. Without that, I would have never found that the BCM was in protection mode. Ford uses this terminology. (solid state driver protection activated - driver disabled)

So this one is:fixed:

12. kev2

kev2 wrench

I gotta ask -
    Did you scan for B codes?
    Did you try a reflash or reconfigure of BCM - maybe just reset dump and reset, ie removing power ?
    There was a BCM issue not a recall but a ford 'PIP' - I cannot remember ford term for this. I can't search today.... sorry.

13. nickb2

Diagnostic tech

14. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Hi Kev, yes, I hooked up laptop with my bosch VCI interface and went to body control module section first. Right away it spit out the U1000 code from the BCM. I was relieved not to see a U3000 code as that meant I needed a new BCM. With a U1000 code, the BCM can be reset by just clearing that code and repeating self test. Screenshot (93).png

15. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Thing is, I had no idea ford had this protection circuitry on board these trucks. I am just starting to see these trucks as they are now out of warranty.

However, this truck used to go to another garage as this is a Naskapi tribe police truck. But the police there no longer want to deal with that tribes garage. Seeing the shoddy work, I understand them.

Also, guy's, check out my thread in eskimo land in the mechanics forum. Tragedy. Airplane crash not but a few miles from my house up here.