Drivers side electric window

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by Michael Robinson, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson Newbie

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Toyota
    MODEL:Avensis
    YEAR:2016
    MILES:
    ENGINE:
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Drivers side electric window doesnt work very well. Have to hold the button for several seconds to get a response, open or close. It also doesnt always work. The strange thing is this is only when the engine is running. If the car is in accessory mode it works first time every time. I have no ideas why the engine running would cause problems.

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

We would be willing to help discuss add information how to diagrams etc
    BUT it is surely under warranty, why not have a Toyota dealer handle this for you?

If you need the help please ask.

3. Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson Newbie

They have "fixed" it twice and I still have the same problem. Don't like the dealer I am dealing with as I don't use them for any other service I don't think they care.
    Thinking of taking it to an independent mechanic I trust but he had no ideas when I explained the problem to him.

4. kev2

kev2 wrench

Before an independent shop works this - ANY Toyota dealer can help you - try another dealer, call Toyota motors direct, phone number in owners manual they will assist.

Once a non Toyota shops works this you own it right now they are responsible.

5. Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson Newbie

Hi Kev. That's good advice. I will try a different dealers. Thank you very much

6. NickD

NickD wrench

In my neck of the woods, have a choice between big city or small town dealers. Big dealers would give you a better price, but their service typically sucks, got this word from my kids. But if you get a quote from them and show it to a small dealer, will equal or beat it, and the service is far superior.

Last year my passenger side window in my 28 year old Supra would not go back up, problem was dirty contacts in the driver's side switch, an interlock, took the switch apart, cleaned the contacts and working perfectly fine again. But this is how they use to do this, most newer vehicles, these switches are supplying commands to the BCM, in turn, fire a relay in the underhood fuse/relay box. Saves a lot of back and forth wiring between the doors.

These crazy computers need a good power on reset voltage to work properly, New Hyundai was having weird electronic problems. Did some voltage checks, only problem I found was the negative battery terminal was a bit loose, cleaned it and the positive battery terminal as well with silicone grease. All the problems went away.

In my case, that radio and the electrical heating element in the thermostat were the first thing going crazy, your case, erratic operation of the power window. Seldom the problem with the actual device, but getting a sufficient start up voltage for all these computers, like six of them. Other guys went to the dealer, replaced the radio or the thermostat, still had the same problems.

Worked in many different fields of electronics, automotive is the dumbest, solid state, do not test, always hot leads to a dead battery. Same processors that do the controlling do the self diagnostics. Sick of hearing, you ain't go no problems, ain't getting a code, of course you are not, doctors tell you to never diagnose yourself. Ha, even as bad as your bumper ain't falling, ain't getting a code. Other is, can't find anything wrong or perfectly normal.

7. Michael Robinson

Michael Robinson Newbie

I took it back to another Toyota dealer and they seem to have fixed it. They would not tell me what was wrong. Thanks for the advice.