Dodge Ram - Help Me Understand ?!

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by RickyBubbles, Apr 30, 2017.

1. RickyBubbles

RickyBubbles Hero Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Dodge
    MODEL:Ram 1500
    YEAR:2007
    MILES:120000
    ENGINE:5.7 Hemi Apr 30, 2017 037.JPG Apr 30, 2017 039.JPG Apr 30, 2017 046.JPG Apr 30, 2017 047.JPG
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Photos taken today. Note the front brake pads, and Tie rod end grease nipples (both sides shown). Please comment on the following statements regarding these photos... "Pads almost worn down to metal" & "Front end was greased on April 17th". Thank you!

2. kev2

kev2 wrench

"Help me understand" that's double speak for a rant is coming. :mad:
    Go ahead tell the whole story, whats up here?

3. RickyBubbles

RickyBubbles Hero Member

April 30, 2017 007.JPG April 30, 2017 006.JPG April 30, 2017 005.JPG Thanks kev2. No rant really. Just that I always thought I was a little mechanically inclined with some knowledge about vehicle repairs. Seems that I missed some things along the way. Pictures here of rear brake shoe condition and transfer case plugs. These shoes "have 1/4 of their pad left". Transfer case is not so obvious. Wish I could tell if the fluid was drained and refilled on April 17th. Just have never seen brake pads with 1" thick linings. All these comments came from repair shop along with $2000 + tax estimate for brake repairs. Brakes done 25,000 miles ago. 95% Highway driving. Rear rotors haven't even started rusting. Linings are > 1/4" remaining. Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about that most recent service visit. April 30, 2017 005.JPG April 30, 2017 006.JPG

4. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Talk to the shop manager/owner, but I suspect you are going to be looking for a new shop. What did the bogus lube service cost, is it even worth considering filing in small-claims court?

5. RickyBubbles

RickyBubbles Hero Member

Visiting service manager tomorrow armed with these photos, etc. Wish I had a way to tell if transfer case was serviced. Also had plugs changed...well I think.:confused:

6. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Well, I can see break away marks from the plugs on the transfer case which indicates they were removed recently, but no way those pads are worn down to metal and for sure those tie rods have not been greased in recent times.

I would say pads have at least half service life left. Of note, front rotors are starting to rot, but still good for rest of pad life. Consider new rotors when pads need changing in another 30k km's.

7. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Really, you see signs of those two plugs having been moved? I sure don't. Yeah, the edges of the orange/red thread sealant are a bit ragged, but no places seem to distinctly "match". There are no marks from a hex-key having torqued in the sockets, and no sign of any fluid on the plugs or case.

8. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Yup, after a second look and zoomed in, Billr is right, that looks like thread sealant and the thread sealant isn't broken at all.