Brake

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by BC, Nov 6, 2017.

1. BC

BC Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Kia
    MODEL:Forte
    YEAR:2014
    MILES:80K
    ENGINE:1.8
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....

I'm relaying this question from a friend as don't have access to the car at the moment. The question is... On the slider pins, and specifically the one with one rubber seal (as seen in the pic on the right), which side does it go in? And what is the purpose of it if you don't mind explaining. Thank you!

upload_2017-11-6_10-52-6.png

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Best answer I can come up with is this rubber sleeve is an anti rattle. I see them mostly on the bottom of the bracket, some have them on top, others have them on all 4. On top, or on bottom, doesn't really matter.

If anyone else has a better answer, I don't have a better one that what I just wrote. Just make sure you use a silicone type grease such as this for those pins. If not, you will swell those rubber sleeves and end up having brake drag in the not so distant future.

I use this stuff. 021.JPG

3. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

If those rubber bits give me trouble because they are already swollen, I remove them and install pins without them. I haven't had any rattle complaints. The space where the rubber used to be becomes a "lube reserve".

4. jd

jd Hero Member

My mechanical whiz kid friend from another forum recommends the purple label on the left in nickb2's pic above. So far very good. A "jar" of it as pictured ain't cheap, but it compares favorably with those little envelope packages when you realize it's a long term supply. All I have to do is not lose it, not "loan" it.

5. BC

BC Full Member

10-4 on that. Thanks for the info. And... think I'll go buy a jar of that purple or blue stuff.

Thanks!