Brake

BC

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Kia
MODEL:Forte
YEAR:2014
MILES:80K
ENGINE:1.8
DESCRIBE ISSUE....

I'm relaying this question from a friend as don't have access to the car at the moment. The question is... On the slider pins, and specifically the one with one rubber seal (as seen in the pic on the right), which side does it go in? And what is the purpose of it if you don't mind explaining. Thank you!

upload_2017-11-6_10-52-6.png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Best answer I can come up with is this rubber sleeve is an anti rattle. I see them mostly on the bottom of the bracket, some have them on top, others have them on all 4. On top, or on bottom, doesn't really matter.

If anyone else has a better answer, I don't have a better one that what I just wrote. Just make sure you use a silicone type grease such as this for those pins. If not, you will swell those rubber sleeves and end up having brake drag in the not so distant future.

I use this stuff. 021.JPG

If those rubber bits give me trouble because they are already swollen, I remove them and install pins without them. I haven't had any rattle complaints. The space where the rubber used to be becomes a "lube reserve".

jd

My mechanical whiz kid friend from another forum recommends the purple label on the left in nickb2's pic above. So far very good. A "jar" of it as pictured ain't cheap, but it compares favorably with those little envelope packages when you realize it's a long term supply. All I have to do is not lose it, not "loan" it.

BC

10-4 on that. Thanks for the info. And... think I'll go buy a jar of that purple or blue stuff.

Thanks!