BRAKE FLUID FLUSHING - WHAT'S STOPPING YOU?

Discussion in 'FAQs & Tips' started by admin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

By Alcan, BAT Auto Technical

All brake fluids must meet U.S. Federal Safety Standard (USFSS) #116. Under this standard are Department of Transportation (DOT) minimal specifications DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 for Polyalkylene Glycol Ether (glycol) based fluids, and DOT 5 for Silicum-based Polymer (silicone) fluids.

A popular misconception is that water ends up in brake hydraulic systems through "condensation". This is incorrect. Water must be present in the first place to condense. It actually finds it's way into the system through microscopic pores in flex hoses and master cylinder reservoir diaphragms, at a typical rate of 2-3% annually. This will eventually lead to corrosion and damage of brake hydraulic system components such as master cylinder bores, wheel cylinders, disc brake calipers, and Antilock Brake System (ABS) pressure modulators.

Glycol fluids are hygroscopic (they absorb moisture) for a reason. Any moisture contamination in the system will tendto be dispersed throughout the system, minimizing water concentration at any specific location.

Silicone fluids, being non-hygroscopic, will not disperse water. This can cause high concentrations of water at the lowest points of the system such as the brake calipers or low points in lines (water is heavier than silicone fluid and will collect at the low points). This presents 2 problems: localized higher corrosion rates; and more chanceof water collecting and boiling in the calipers under heavy braking, causing gassing and pedal fade.

Silicone fluids also contain about 3X as much dissolved air as glycol fluids and are about 2X more compressible, which may cause the characteristic spongy pedal feel associated with their use, cause aeration when forced through smallorifices, and make bleeding more difficult.

Regarding seal swelling concerns, some early siliconeformulations had an incompatibility problem with glycol-designed seals but that has been corrected in most current formulations. If glycol-designed seals were designed to swell with use, then every rebuilt caliper/wheel cylinder would leak when first installed.

Currently, Harley Davidson is the only U.S. vehicle manufacturer to specify silicone fluid, and that's for paint damage concerns. None recommend silicone fluid in ABS equipped vehicles.

FLUID
    TYPE
    DRY - boiling point - WET
    w/3% water
    DOT 3
    glycol
    401° F
    284° F
    DOT 4
    glycol
    446° F
    311° F
    DOT 5
    silicone
    500° F
    (humidified)=356° F
    DOT 5.1
    glycol
    518° F
    375° F
    DOT 3 represents the MINIMUM standard for disc brake fluid boiling points, which may vary from one manufacturer to another.

Glycol and silicone fluids are not intermixable, and will cause coagulation.

The bottom line is simple. Any brake hydraulic system, whether filled with glycol or silicone fluid, is subject to water contamination. Systems should be flushed every 2-3 years. This is an issue of time and relative humidity, not accumulated mileage.

Your feedback is GREATLY appreciated!! Please email your comments to: Contact Us

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    This is the most difficult service to sell to a client.

Mostly, I think it just because they don't understand relative humidity. And then when you spring on the client that major ABS issues will occur. They just seem to zone out.

You can tell just by their eyes rolling upwards and you just lost client and wait for it, they come back saying you just F up their car.

I went to a few night courses just to be more client friendly. Apparently they want you you to be more educated then themselves.

Mean while, your the one busting knuckles on 1800$ ABS unit and basically just repeating yourself I told you so.

Then they scream at you that you are ripping them off. Ok, Not my problem.

I learned this the hard way. 12hrs in court. Simply just not wanting to be there.

3. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    The judge in court simply said to client, that tech is certified all aces. I said to the judge, do I need to come back here again. She said no.

Winked at client find another garage.

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Good thing I did not say stupid bitch. That lady was out of it.

The following video pretty much describe the rest of the procedure.