Best oil for the engine not the driver

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by billj, Mar 5, 2017.

1. billj

billj MR BILL

Owner MR BILLS Handyman services
    Home Page:
    I really have been wondering from a mechanics or a true car fanatic what is the best oil for an engine? Lets forget about how often it needs to be changed, lets say we change the oil dependent on general recommendations. For example: Conventional 3 months, Synthetic blend 6 months, Full Synthetic 9 months, which oil is better for the engine? I use M1, but have read some positive things about Synthetic blend, the better of both worlds. Which by the way I used before M1

2. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    I think you are going to get a lot of opinions, not necessarily fact.

I have used Mobile one for years. Is that what you call M1?

I feel it is one of the best and I do not want to overhaul an engine ever again.

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I use full-synthetic (Mobil 1, because it's what Costco carries) in my two most-prized engines; but I have two other engines with 220K and 250K miles on them that have never had anything but petro oil in them. I don't think it makes much difference on engine life for most applications.

A bit off-topic... I have been amazed over the years to see some folks choose to keep running an engine that is low on oil because the "super-duper" oil they usually use isn't available; they would rather risk low oil pressure than lubricate with a lesser class. Also, those that will run with oil low because it is due to be changed and they don't want to "waste" new oil in the engine.

4. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:
    While we are on Mobil 1 (M1 as I called it) I see there is now a Mobil 1 "one year change interval" for about $50 with tax for a 5 quart jug and there is also a "one year" Mobil 1 oil filter for about $10.
    Has anyone ever changed the oil and filter on a 1.6 liter eco-boost Ford Escape? Holly crap. Bottom engine panel held on with metric, torx, and Philips screws. An oil filter that you can barely get a hand on, luckily I have some oil filter caps that I have modified with end nuts bolted/welded on for tight places. Then the oil drain plug was so tight I broke a socket adapter. First oil change since we bought it by the way. Ended up using a box wrench and 5lb mallet, do or die.
    Didn't mean to get off subject, but I can see a use for a once a year oil change if it will not harm the engine. I live in Florida and it is over 90 half the year. I use 0w30 rather than 5w20 because of the hot weather. Thinking about 5w30, but a 1.6 liter is a small engine. But it is turbo charged, it is quicker than the 3.0 liter we had in the 2011 Escape we had.
    Sorry didn't mean to ramble

Attached Files:

5. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    I agree with Billr and actually do exactly the same thing.

6. billj

billj MR BILL

Home Page:
    It sounds like my best bet is to stick with the Mobil 1. (0W30 in the '05 and '14 Escapes with the 4 cylinders and 10w30 in the '06 e350 Super Duty with the v-8)

7. Silverstone90

Silverstone90 Newbie

I also use Mobil 1. Synthetic oil is the way to go.

8. kev2

kev2 wrench

the best oil is what the manufacturer states in literature - PERIOD*.
    Do you think you will win a claim if you change oil once a year? I don't think BMW would agree.
    Do you want to argue the need for DEXOS approved products - The warning is all over the owners manual - of course everyone reads it.

* after warranty is a different story - its all yours.

lounge

Silverstone90 likes this.
  9. Silverstone90

Silverstone90 Newbie

'
    Great answer!

10. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    I was a manufactures rep for years. What Kev states is for sure the correct answer. Don't give the manufacturer any excuse to not preform a warranted operation.