Belt? Or chain?

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by abrad, Apr 28, 2017.

1. abrad

abrad Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: dodge
    MODEL: grand caravan sxt
    YEAR: 2005
    MILES: 190,000
    ENGINE: 3.8
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....leaking head gasket
    Ok, I know what the problem is! While I am in there to fix this issue, I plan on replacing the water pump and the timing chain.

Here is the problem -
    Rock Auto shows timing chain
    Advance Auto shows belt
    Napa shows both!

Anyone have any ideas which it is???
    I plan on ordering the parts online, and have everything ready to go when I start this project...

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    No timing belt here, just a good old chain. Screenshot (80).png

3. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    BTW, the part number may have changed to AB instead of AA. Also disregard the part price, those prices listed are outdated.

Try to find a kit with new guides also.

4. abrad

abrad Full Member

Thanks Nick. Not to nitpick, but that chain does not appear to be very long, considering this is for a V6. Sorry for the late reply, but I just got home from a 13.5 hour shift, not counting the 45 minute drive each way!

5. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

That 3.8L engine is OHV, not OHC, so chain doesn't have to go far to reach the camshaft sprocket.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. abrad

abrad Full Member

That helps. Thanks!

7. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
  8. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I see there was a "running change" of the chain width in '05. I wonder which one the OP has, or if the two different timing-set widths are interchangeable into any 3.8 engine?

9. NickD

NickD wrench

Ha, the good old days when you could remove the heads for a valve job without pulling apart the entire front end, miserable on a FWD vehicle. Main problem with that timing chain over time, it would stretch, so both the valves and ignition timing with a distributor would lag the crankshaft.

Can be tested with a valve cover removed and rocking the crankshaft to learn how much play you have with a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt, should be next to none. Also good to test the oil pressure, if low, can be the camshaft bearing are worn as well as the main and rod bearings. Only way to do this was to pull the engine, camshaft is kind of long.

Knocking in new camshaft bearings was tricky, bearing has a hole in it that has to align with the block, if not, no oil flow.

See this 3.8L is in a minivan, not nice to have a congress that makes baby car seat law, four of my kids have to drive these things, not even a tax break for them. If they have problems, just tell them to trade it in for a new one, I don't bend anymore like I use to, these things are not easy to work on.

Found rockauto.com a good source to buy parts on, gives you a choice of brand. Can also find many parts manuals on the web for OEM parts. Go there, get the part number and plug that into ebay. Most have free shipping, with OEM parts, prices may look good, but hang you on S&H prices. H, is the worst.