Antique binks compressor, need advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickb2, Jul 22, 2016.

1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    I have found a antique binks compressor local in my city.

I know next to nothing of this canadian made air compressor. It seems to be of a VERY solid design, and from the looks of the pictures I will provide, seems very clean for the antiquity it is.

Asking price is 50$. So I was wondering if anybody here knows if these antiques are worth it. I have not checked the working state of it yet, but I wonder if I am just getting nostalgic cuz I love the look of it and it's robust workmanship.

So, any ideas, advice and where parts can be found for this Binks. Is it worth it for only 50$, or stay away, more hassle than my nostalgic brains should need?

I don't know, something just inspires me about the look of it. But like I said, I know next to nothing of this Binks company, even though it is canadian made. I know of the Leland electric motor, they are indestructible from what I hear. It is a 1/2hp.

Seems perfect for small jobs and small enough to fit wheels to it and get it portable. Seems perfect for paint jobs.

Anyways, go or no go? 50$ is really cheap, but is it just wasted space.

Screenshot (760).png Screenshot (761).png Screenshot (762).png Screenshot (763).png Screenshot (764).png Screenshot (765).png

2. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    I said canadian made cuz I saw canada on the label. But it seems the headquaters are down in Glendale IL.

Anyway, what do you older guy`s think? I am just about ready to head out to buy it on a whim. I think just in parts, I could salvage it even if the piston or other is shot.

But I will wait until I get some feedback. I am not one to hoard shyte. So I wouldn't want my inexperience to make me buy a bad idea cuz I like the antique look of it.

If someone tells me these compressors were the thing/shyte, back in the day, I hop on it in a heart beat, if someone hasn't beat me to it already. Nothing made in china on this one NickD.;) We like that!!:D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Binks is certainly one of the long-standing "name brands" in paint spraying equipment, comparable to DeVilbiss or Graco (Grayco?). Most likely that pump will operate, or can be fixed, but I wouldn't have confidence parts are still easily available. You may have to make some things. My concern would be the pump capacity; it looks rather small, and the 1/2 hp motor kind of confirms that. I don't think it will be a useful tool, only a cute conversation piece

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Yeah, kinda my thoughts exactly. It would be a "cute" addition next to my old "Niagara Falls " Beach tool chest which is probably early to mid 70's. I wonder how old that Binks could be, haven't been able to google image search one yet.

Maybe late 50's or early 60's?? Could be even late 30's if I compare the VA-4 model of this ad I found on the net. Seems to be the exact same pump, but with a 3/4hp motor. See links below.

http://www.quincycompressor.com/vintage-magazine-ads/

http://www.quincycompressor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Complete-Line.pdf

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Notice round hole pulley and air filter on side. This unit may be more of a find than I thought. A lot of farmer in my region that have some really old cool stuff.

I might just buy as a conversation piece. I called the guy, got his voice box. Hope he still has it. It's still listed on Kijjiji. Hope I can convert it to a 110v outlet. I can't tell from the picture if that leland is a 110/220v motor.

I am out of my league at bit there, but internet is full of useful hints and tricks.

6. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Is there a data-plate on the tank, like with a test date? That motor looks pretty ancient in design, maybe even before the '50s. The compressor data-plate indicates Binks was in the "water cooling" business too, but I have never heard of that. Maybe you can find out when they divested themselves from the water-works? That would put an upper limit on the date of manufacture.