Advice--Replace existing good alternator?

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by twicelow, May 30, 2017.

1. twicelow

twicelow Full Member

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ford
    MODEL:E350
    YEAR:1993
    MILES:168,000
    ENGINE:7.5liter
    DESCRIBE ISSUE....Replace alternator?

2. twicelow

twicelow Full Member

I think I messed on posting just the title. Anyway, I'm planning a a trip to Alaska with my '94 Tioga Class C Motorhome. With the 168K miles on it, should I replace the alternator in my driveway rather than maybe in the Yukon? I had previously replaced a perfectly working fuel pump, water pump, not to mention wear items like belts and hoses. The alternator works just fine, but I'm thinking maybe the brushes and bearings might be approaching their lifespan. What are your thoughts on this. I know NickD has thoughts and experience on alternators. Would I be pushing my luck for another 10K miles?

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Leave it alone. You could take a spare alt with you; but why not also take a spare trans, a spare diff, a spare of every engine sensor, spare injectors and spark coils, spare wheel bearings, spare brake parts, spare... ?

Got my drift? 168K isn't brand-new, but sure isn't all worn out either. You are taking a gamble on a long trip, even if the vehicle is brand-new.

4. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Second that

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Save up, and see, you do not want to be going under there for your trip to yukon in between two bigmacs or happy meal or whatever they call those things now days. BTW, good luck up there. You will need it.

I saw many nice places and landscape. Awesome. Once you get there, can you post a picture, that would be cool.

6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    My father went as far as Kugluktuk. He said the scenearie was outstanding. Damn, french got in the way there.;)

7. JackC

JackC wrench

Retired
    Rebuilt and even new alternators are not necessarily any better than the known good on you have on now.

As stated above, leave it alone.

8. dabunk

dabunk wrench

Home Page:
    That was my thought the rebuilt might not last the trip either! I might take a spare with me but I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy

9. NickD

NickD wrench

Major concerns with a 24 year old alternator is the front bearing, grease gets hard. Pull the bearing out, pop off the seals from the outside, clean it in solvent, check the balls and races, if clean, no rough spots and pack it full with Wolf's Red high temperature wheel bearing grease. Same can be done with the rear bearing.

Other is the slip ring brushes, they wear, replace those. This alternator may have that BBS side connector, clean the terminals, crimp the female terminals for a good tight fit. Also wire brush the mounting points for a good ground.

Ha, many many years ago, wrecked the pole pieces on the rotor trying to get a pulley nut loose, ever since, can hold that pulley with my hand and zip it off with an impact wrench, amazes me whenever I do this.

Practically no alternators are rebuilt in the US anymore, mostly China, just use old junk parts they thing that test good. Claim to be guaranteed for life, but doesn't help you at all if stranded in the middle of no where.

Bill did two very naughty things for this country, brought in China and made US rebuilders pay income tax on the retail value of old used cores. As far as I am concerned, that SOB should be locked up in prison. The Automotive Rebuilders Association fought this in court for about seven years and finally won. But that this time thousands of even mom and pop shops were put out of business, even the major ones.

An easier way to describe this is rebuilts are crap.

10. LynnM

LynnM Sr. Member

Make sure to take some tire repair plugs and a portable 12V compressor, Don't buy any spare parts from crapy zone .....