Advice for repair

Discussion in 'Small Engines' started by glenna_enna, Sep 16, 2015.

1. glenna_enna

glenna_enna Newbie

I have a kymco people scooter that's 2001, with some repairs needed. I only paid 1000$ for it and it lasted a year. Now it needs a new exhaust, cycle kit, and carb. He wants 350$ for the exhaust, 225$ for the carb and 325$ for the cycle kit.
    Is it really worth repairing and then just learning how to repair it myself to last me another year, or should I sell it as is and invest in something else?
    It is super cheap with insurance and like 10$ in gas a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

After a brief on-line search for "Kymco", my conclusion is that it is a viable product and probably worth not just scrapping. They even seem to have some relationship (building product for) BMW and Kawasaki. However, my assessment that this is worth repairing depends on whether there is some known "major damage", like a wreck or running the engine without oil. Even a scooter that is brand-new and a good design can be ruined quickly and easily, so let us know if there is some "back-story" here.

Moving on... you bought it used, it seems, what are the problem symptoms now? It looks like those are EFI (at least now), are you sure there even is a carb? How much of the exhaust is to be replaced (what parts) and why? I have no clue as to what a "cycle kit" is, can you provide more info on that? We may be able to help you here, but I anticipate quite a few more question-and-answer sessions, and may have to ask for you to post pictures.

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    This is probably the 50cc honda clone. Have you tried comparing parts. Here a link to the carb lit kit. I only found one @205$. http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Malossi-Carb-Kit-19mm-Kymco/1331

So your guy is in the money range. But what makes you say it needs such repairs. I can see it needing a new exhaust. Normal, it is a 2001.

What are the symptoms apart from being extra noisy?

Why not try e-bay. Check this link out. http://www.ebay.com/bhp/kymco-carburetor

4. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    The honda Elite and the Kymco 50cc seem to be the same. So do your research before throwing useless parts at this. When you say cycle kit, I don't know what that means. Maybe my french is getting in the way. Do you mean clutch? Maybe you just need new springs? I don't know,

You will have to be more specific with me as I am mostly french.

I know these are belt driven so I know your are not talking about sprockets and chains.

If it is the clutch you are talking about, just buy one of these. 60$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RACE-CLUTCH...ISM-KB-PEOPLE-SPACER-SUPER-9-50-/181264873082

I really don't know what a cycle kit is and no amount of google research produces the term cycle kit for your application, so again, please be more specific, cuz it would insane to put your first quotes on this old scoot without know what is really busted to merit this sort of investment.

5. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Why not watch these videos on you tube and save time to help you just clean the carb and help diagnose and learn at the same time. Seems simple enough even for a beginner.

Try timing a Honda Goldwing 1979 1000. They have four carbs that need to be timed, that was a nightmare for me when I was 17yrs old. I loved that bike. Replacing the timing belts was fun and prepared me for my new career at that age.

If you do enough research, you can buy almost any part seperatly and not spend astronomical amounts like you got quoted for.

The video series is in three parts and there seem to be a ton of other video's. I am a visual guy as most mechanics are and I find when I don't know something, I buy the manual or just watch a few video's. That is the best way to learn imho.

However, If I was this kids dad, I would be freaking out about my driveway, that will stain. Try to do this in a drop pan instead of on his driveway. LOL.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  6. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
  7. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Great info for the OP, Nick! I also saw some reference to this being "related" to some kind of Honda scooter. Trust me, that "cycle kit" description is unknown to me (English-only) too.

8. dabunk

dabunk wrench

Home Page:
    These are cheap chinese knock offs of a honda, parts do not interchange and the parts they sell are of real cheap quality. That being said I owned on when we lived in Belize and it was a cheap blast to run around on. Check online for cheaper parts possibly those prices you got seem high maybe order direct from china?

9. kev2

kev2 wrench

I am shocked by this talk ;)
    I thought both kinds of motorcycles came from MILWAUKEE.

this should stir the pot....

10. nickb2

Diagnostic tech
    Good to know, for the interchange. I saw they were honda knock offs and stated as much, but I must say, the kymco carb looked amazingly similar to it's honda counter part. However, an internet picture can be deceptive when trying to compare by looking at said pictures. Best to have both in hand.

I think the original OP has given up on this thread. So will I.