? about mobile home approved gas water heaters

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by eddieguy, May 4, 2017.

1. eddieguy

eddieguy Sr. Member

I thought the folks on here could shed some light for me on this issue. My folks live in a mobile home and told me that when they had to replace thier gas water heater it was a lot more costly for a mobile home approved one. To add insult to injury the experience that my folks and others in the mobile home park is that these water heaters have not lasted as long as other types. My understanding is that what makes the mobile home approved water heaters different is the combustion area is sealed off from the air in the home to prevent any possible leak of carbon monoxide into the air in the home. MY QUESTION IS whats different about the construction of a home thats not a mobile home that would make this type of heater not needed. Why would it not have the possible leakage of carbon monoxide as well? Thanks for any replies

2. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

I'm no expert, but here's my thought...On the gas water heaters in a mobile for some reason they duct fresh air intake to the burner usually thru the floor so all combustion air is drawn from outside and you aren't using indoor air for combustion. Mobile homes have fresh air under the structure. Immobile homes have a basement or are built on a slab. Wild card would be house with a "crawl-space"which may be vented, but less vented than your average mobile home. Another factor may be the limited amount of "draw" that the "chimney"can produce when the roofline is just several feet above the top of the heater.

3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Also, most homes have a lot more interior volume in relation to the size of the heater burner; that would "dilute" any CO better. There are probably more windows, doors, and electrical boxes in most homes too (not to mention fireplace chimneys), that allow more fresh-air intrusion.