A604 tapered snap rings

Discussion in 'Transmission Forum' started by trl21068, Jul 11, 2008.

1. trl21068

trl21068 Newbie

I'm currently rebuilding my 1993 A604. I can't find anything about which direction the tapered snap rings should face when being reinstalled. I have the FSM and the ATSG trans manual and update book.

Does anyone here have experience with the ALTO power pack for the overdrive clutch? I bought one to put in but I can't get proper clearance with it. I took it out and put in the stock overdrive clutch and the clearance was fine. I then measured the thickness of the ALTO and stock clutches and the ALTO is . 026 thicker. How can it possibly fit in the same space and have the similar clearance spec?

2. Cheef

Cheef King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE

Home Page:
    Hey,

The ALTO power pack....must be used with a special recut OD/REV common pressure plate. It is thinner to allow the extra steel and friction. BTW, I have never had a problem with using Borg Warners or get OEM kevlars in this clutch with the 4 friction/3 steel standard configuration. I have also though about using the OEM semi-metallics from the REV clutch here but have not experimented here. Kevlars work nicely.

Clutch clearances and end play are more important that design updates except for the UD tapered snap ring. You can't use the first design (.070") and the 2nd design/1st update .060" is unreliable. MAke sure your L/R is as close, but not under, .035" but never more than .042. This is key for eliminating coast down bumps even when there is no problems with L/R piston leakage.

The tapered snaps will always have the TAPER facing you (i.e. up) when installed. The FLAT part rests against the plate. You will have ONE in the input clutches retainer assembly (one for the UD...will be a .075" if using the second update reaction plate and .090" if using the latest 3rd update...OEM out of the factory would have been 1st update .060 and these cracked regularly.) There will be one in the case which will be the second snap ring you install which holds the pressure plate against the relatively thin L/R snap ring. MAKE sure it is seated especially if using the pressure plate that does not have a relief cut in it. Very easy to allow a bit of this snap ring to be exposed where it will bind against the 1st 2/4 clutch friction and you will destroy the clutch short order.

Watch the 1st UD snap ring and the REV snap....both are similar. REV snap has flat ends and the 1st UD has little nubs.

Best of luck!

Cheef

3. trl21068

trl21068 Newbie

The ALTO power pack includes the special pressure plate and that's what it's too thick with. Stock clutch with new parts was . 855 and ALTO was . 880 thick. That's where half my clearance went. Thanks, that was more info than I asked for,so keep it up. I need as much info as possible.